• Register Today It's free!

new fuel pump selection

xlt1993

Reaction score
City, State
western maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 explorer
I'm trying to figure out what a really good quality fuel pump would be. The factory pump is getting weak and is going to need to be replaced soon. I'm just wondering what a good quality brand pump would be to get. I will be purchasing the pump from AutoZone and I will be buying the sending unit assembly as well as a new lock ring and gasket. I would Just like to know what everyone has had luck with and what brands to stay away from. Everything I buy for all my rides usually has the best warranty usually lifetime or 5 year. But all suggestions will be helpful. Thanks in advance,Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I purchased the Bosch (the OE supplier) complete hanger assembly from Rockauto. It was about $125 a year ago. Haven't had a hiccup with it. I also changed my fuel filter as well.

I wasn't about to skimp and try to save $30-$40 on something that would strand me on the side of the road if it fails and would require dropping the tank again to replace!

The old original pump was still working but the in-tank strainer was partially clogged and was a rust color, indicating that there had been water in the tank at some point.

Bosch also here...

Sounds like a plan. I will start pricing them tonight. Thanks for the insight

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fex/full.aspx?Page=73

Just replaced mine with sending unit from LMC purchased on sale 2 months ago ~$99 part #50-3124 SENDING UNIT Don't see the sale anymore, now $129.95. Pleased with the results. Vehicle no longer has the loud buzzing from the tank and once again have a working gauge! Manufactured by Universal.

Are you dropping the tank or cutting access panel? I see this in my future soon. I'm making the panel cuts tomorrow.

I haven't made the purchase as of yet,, bills come first. I will probably drop the tank. Only because I don't want to put another hole in my ride lol. Then again I may have a shop do it due to the weather and my work schedule. I never have more than one day off a week(2 jobs does that to ya). As of now I'm just keeping the tank full to prolong the life of the pump until I get the bills paid and then going from there. Leaning toward the Bosch pump from rock auto tho. I want the complete assembly. When I filled the tank up today from just about 1/2 the ex took 3 gallons and the pump clicked off. So either the fuel nozzle I was using was weird (not really likely) or my sending unit isn't very accurate like it should be. Milage was just over 63 miles and fuel gauge said just a tick over 1/2 tank which according to some quick math equaled out to about 8mpg. But the pump kicking off at about 3 gallons says about 20 mpg so I think the sending unit is on its way as well

I used the Carter pump from Rockauto. My mechanic says it is the actual stock pump manufacturer.

I had a Bosch fail on me within 3 months. Have heard mixed opinions on Airtex. Personally, for the hassle involved, I'm spending the extra and getting a Motorcraft next time. If the stock pump lasted this long then I'd like to get the same mileage out of the replacement.

The 94 I have right now has 197k on the stock pump. Motorcraft for sure...

Back