New grilles | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New grilles

Excellent job man, I really like this.

I'm about to do something similar, about a week ago I got a 4'x1' sheet of chrome-plated stainless steel mesh. Only problem is when I was bending the edges around to fit them in the old stock grille, the chrome was chipping off, so I have to find a way to re-coat the edges to prevent against rust.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you putting in the lower grille inserts ?

thanks for the preview of what i hope my X will look like in the next year hopefully !

looks sick fella !!!!!

looks awesome jarvis keep up good work

just thought i'd throw up a few pics of my lower grill which i did last week, just made out of the mesh u get from ur local auto store. also painted the insert black before hand

wat do ya's think? ive gotta do the inserts where the fog lights r yet.

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1980.jpg

^^^ **** man, i gotta admit you made me feel like a **** because yours looks nice! and I spent 200 bucks on my Speed grilles lol.

BTW, nice work! I would recommend maybe at least paint it with chrome spray can?? not sure if thats going to hold up for long but i guess it would do the job for now.

You kind of made me want to do silver instead lol. they sure do look nice.

btw, did you paint the lower valence insert black?

are you putting in the lower grille inserts ?

thanks for the preview of what i hope my X will look like in the next year hopefully !

looks sick fella !!!!!

lower grille inserts are in there already lol. I apologize for the quality of those pics. They were taken with my BB's camera so I will borrow a digital cam from my bro so it should be a better pic (I will be sure to post it up as well :)).

thanks for the compliment!

^^^ **** man, i gotta admit you made me feel like a **** because yours looks nice! and I spent 200 bucks on my Speed grilles lol.

BTW, nice work! I would recommend maybe at least paint it with chrome spray can?? not sure if thats going to hold up for long but i guess it would do the job for now.

You kind of made me want to do silver instead lol. they sure do look nice.

btw, did you paint the lower valence insert black?

Yeh mate i sprayed the insert gloss black before i put in the mesh, the mesh is already a shiny silver, looks a lot better when the sun is out, had a pretty overcast day yesterday when i took the photos.
cheers for the comments

i only made them myself because u cant buy anything here for explorers and i like to fiddle around with stuff a lot lol

Yeh mate i sprayed the insert gloss black before i put in the mesh, the mesh is already a shiny silver, looks a lot better when the sun is out, had a pretty overcast day yesterday when i took the photos.
cheers for the comments

i only made them myself because u cant buy anything here for explorers and i like to fiddle around with stuff a lot lol

Did not notice that you are from Australia until just now lol.

You sure did a great job! :)

what kind of paint did you use? how is it holding up? I might do the same thing because I think the OEM plastic color is throwing my set up off lol. I would like to do my foglight bezels as well.

Did not notice that you are from Australia until just now lol.

You sure did a great job! :)

what kind of paint did you use? how is it holding up? I might do the same thing because I think the OEM plastic color is throwing my set up off lol. I would like to do my foglight bezels as well.

I used VHT gloss black, brake caliper paint (http://www.vhtpaint.com/caliperpaint.html)
i use it on a lot of different little things i do and it seems to hold up pretty well cos its a high temp and chemical resistant paint. sometimes i use a clear coat sometimes i dont, in this case i didnt. Im alo gonna do my fog light bezels soon and add some of that mesh in there too

cool, I am thinking rustoleum's plastic spray can should do good as well.

I think I will go ahead and paint my foglight bezels and the lower valence insert to compliment all of the black on my vehicle.

thank you for the advice.

The black grills look good.

You need some tow hooks too :)

looks great

finally managed to get a better pic of my grilles. hope this will help some future questions or pic requests.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTQtMjAxMDAzMTYtMTAyM.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTYtMjAxMDAzMTYtMTAyM.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTUtMjAxMDAzMTYtMTAyM.jpg

Looks tough man, I'm feelin it. I'd love to see how that looks chrome dipped. To be honest Im getting kinda tired of the billet grille myself.

the grilles being chrome dipped you mean?

I am sure it would look good but it would not flow along with my ride as well as mirror black.

If you got chrome wheels, definitely get it chromed out. You can see my grilles flows with my wheels really well as it got polished lip just like my wheels hehe.

And yeah I was really tired of billet grilles, thats why I pulled the trigger and sold the billets and got the speed grilles (had Jon powdercoat them as well).

Na I hear you, I was black on silver for a couple of years until I started up with the chrome. I guess every now and again you just need that change. Your ride looks great man, enjoy.

Back