New guy here with starting issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New guy here with starting issues

Mikes73

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 explorer xlt
Hello everyone, new guy here and long time ford owner. Our current vehicles are a 73 mustang fastback, 2000 ford ranger 4.0 ohv 4x4 offroad,package, 87 mustang lx, 94 f350 crew cab dually 7.3 turbo diesel and a 2005 explorer xlt 4.0 sohc.

Now for something I really need help with. My wifes 2005 explorer xlt with the 4.0 enigine and auto trans is being a pain in the you know what. It will not crank over with the key and I don't seem to hear the fuel pump energize when turning the key forward. I have tried flip flopping the underhood starter relay with another one and all of the underhood fuses appear to be good with voltage present to the terminals. The battery is new along with the cables and terminals. I can get the car to momentarily start by turning the key forward, spraying starting fluid into the throttle body and using a jumper wire with 12v from the battery directly to the starter and cranking it over until it starts to run, of course it dies after a few seconds after the starting fluid burns off. I have even tried resetting the fuel pump interia switch to no avail.

So no crank or fuel pump with key, folks I am at loss here and have pretty much exhausted all of the places I would think to check. I am open to any ideas short of taking it to the stealership.

Thanks in advance, Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've not had to deal with the PAT system (passive anti theft) but I believe it disables the fuel pump. Search the forum for 'PATS' and you should get plenty of hits.

Sounds like a PATS issue. But I do not know if PATS only disables the fuel pump or both fuel pump and starter on these.

But I would also think PATS would disable the ignition making your manual starting not work either so I don't know.

Sorry for being late getting back on this. The theft light seems to be flashing the same as it always has, also we checked all of the under hood fuses and relays with no luck. I am going to check out the under dash fuses but I am not to optimistic about this. Thanks for the input everyone

Follow up : It ended up being a PATS system failure. A trip to the junkyard and 10 bucks later it runs again. I ended up having to replace the transponder and ignition lock assembly. That being said this thing is the biggest piece of s*** we have ever owned, I have had to change the front hubs, ball joints twice, transmission once, rear window motor and a bunch of other little stuff. I am kicking this thing goodbye as soon as possible. I am a huge Ford lover but this thing has ruined it for me on the newer stuff.

Thanks and goodbye folks.

Back