New Head Gaskets or replace Engine? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Head Gaskets or replace Engine?

McCheese

Reaction score
City, State
Acton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Sport 4.0, 00 XLT 5.0
My 96 4.0 has blown a head gasket.

I've done 4.0 gasket before and it's a bunch of work.

The engine has 160,000 miles on already and had a noisy lifter before the head gasket blew.

I know I'll need gaskets at least and lifters and who knows if I have a warped or cracked head.

The local wrecker will sell me a complete engine for $250 with 110,000 miles.

I think it will be the same a mount of work to swap the engine as do the head gaskets so I'm leaning towards the engine swap.

Anyone have advice on that?

Thanks

David

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

last ran?

I think the last 4.0L OHV V6 was used in Explorers in 2000. Assuming it was driven 10K miles per year: 110K miles/10K miles per year = 11 years. That means it would have been sitting for 3 years (longer if older than 2000). After three years of sitting the fuel injectors probably are inoperative. The piston rings could be rusted to the cylinder walls. I would ask when the engine last ran. Even if you get a guarantee it won't cover the cost/time of replacing the engine again.

You're using a sledgehammer to crack an egg. Swapping the engine is going to be way more work than replacing the head gasket, especially now that you know exactly how to replace the gasket having done it once before. Besides, I had to replace my 4.0 OHV head gasket at 113k (it didn't blow, but it was in the slow-motion process of blowing. I could have played it out for God knows how long, but I decided to just replace it). You might swap in an engine that ends up needing...a new head gasket.

if i had a '96 4.0L with a blown head gasket, i think i'd try some Bar's Head Gasket Seal (or similar product) before i'd consider repairing it or swapping in a new motor. unless you have some particular love for this vehicle. (jmho).

Fix it or go all out and swap a 5.0 in..

Back