New here, already stressing about parts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New here, already stressing about parts

zuke24

Reaction score
City, State
Spanish Fork, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
Callsign
KA7UKE
Hello everyone.

Just picked up a 2001 Explorer Sport got a song. Engine, transmission, and interior are somehow pristine! However I'm having some issues with getting parts for the exterior. Everywhere I go wants to sell me 4-door or Sport-trac parts!

I know some things are interchangeable, but others are not. The rear handle cover? Interchangeable. The roof rack crossbars? I guess not? And no OEM version exists? Just confused in general.

My side steps are rusted through and I'll be roving them. Any suggestions on replacements?
Also need to find my wiper control box as nothing except high speed works and it doesn't have auto park anymore.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello everyone.

Just picked up a 2001 Explorer Sport got a song. Engine, transmission, and interior are somehow pristine! However I'm having some issues with getting parts for the exterior. Everywhere I go wants to sell me 4-door or Sport-trac parts!

I know some things are interchangeable, but others are not. The rear handle cover? Interchangeable. The roof rack crossbars? I guess not? And no OEM version exists? Just confused in general.

My side steps are rusted through and I'll be roving them. Any suggestions on replacements?
Also need to find my wiper control box as nothing except high speed works and it doesn't have auto park anymore.

Thanks in advance!
The Sport versions of the 2nd gen Explorers were not produced in large numbers. Specialty parts can be hard, or even impossible, to find. Call around to salvage yards and see which ones have 2nd gen Sport models in their inventory. At least this way you can spend less time randomly checking the bone yards.

Welcome to the site.

Welcome. When we removed the side steps from our 99 Sport I replaced them with side steps from a regular cab Ranger. I bolt one end to the factory Sport hole marked & drilled new holes for the other mounting point. Installed riv nuts & bolted them on.

100_1635.JPG

Try searching for a 2001
Explorer

The parts you are talking about are interchangeable with those

The sport (2 Door) was made from 1996-2004
The 2002-2004 have different body lines, but the drivetrain, tailgate handle,’wiper
Motor, things Like this are all compatible with 98-01 Explorer

The wiper motor is same as explorer and ranger

The side steps always rot out
Those will be front a wrecking yard or go with full aftermarket.
Wrecking yard side steps from ranger or explorer 4 door or sport trac could probably work

We love the sports, they are shorter and fun to drive. They are also lighter than the 4 doors so they get better mpg. The only downside to the sport is the doors are longer and the door hinges wear out faster

Back