New Intake/Grill Modification | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Intake/Grill Modification

I've said it before and will again--
That air needs to be metered-it eventually ends up in the combustion--

now-you can tune for it-but it would be easier to just run a tube to your intake tube and be done--

Well with all the different crap people tell me I have no idea, I'll take your word Jon. When I say "people" I'm talking about the actual MAC company calling me yesterday regarding this problem. He had told me that I can send the tube back to them and they would fix it and send me a new one OR he had told me to get one of those little valve cover breather filters. I even asked him "doesn't the hose have to be connected to the intake tube so it draws a suction to get the gasses out" and he said quote "by adding one of this filters I'd be fine, it's the same thing". This is coming straight from MAC the actual company who makes this stuff.

This is why I wanted to clarify this. Looks like MAC doesn't know what there talking about, they just make the stuff???? :scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These engines have just one valve cover opening(stock) for crankcase ventilation. They are designed to have a small vacuum pulling from the valve covers to evacuate those crankcase gases. In a perfect engine the effect of removing that additional ventilation from the crankcase would be minor. It is still desirable though, pressures in the crankcase is bad, plus those are not clean gases.

Those gases are where the oil gets most of its contaminants from. You want the atmosphere inside the crankcase to be as clean as possible. Holding it in and eliminating the main exit point for the gases is not good for any engine.

The bottom line should be to maintain a good airflow through the crankcase, it isn't harmful to ingest it into the air/fuel stream.

The use of breather filters is based on having two valve cover outlets, one sucking into the engine with the PCV valve. We don't have that arrangement on the Explorers, so just one breather filter doesn't clean the crankcase.

Thanks Don, good job explaining this.

Well here are the finished pictures. It's been raining here so its wet and a little dirty. I like the black mesh but at a distance you cant see it, only up close. All you see is a big hole. I'm undecided if I should leave the grill black or paint the grill aluminum color, which would stand out alot more. What do you guys think?

Grill Finished and installed:
318.jpg

129.jpg

black for sure

or dark grey

Black definitely, but not flat black. It should be as close to the rest of the body as possible.

I like black. I would hit up everything behind the grill with a coat of flat black so you don't notice it. How does the logo look on the grill, have you tried it or given it any more thought?

Back