new intake problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new intake problems

RickOTR

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport 4X4
ok, I decided to get rid of my ram air intake that was hooked up tp my OEM air box and put an adapter and K&N filter onto the MAF. I can drive it for about ten miles but then the CEL light comes on. Codes are 0171 and 0174 (banks 1 and 2 are excessively lean). I have a 75mm Pro-M MAF that I have had for about two years with no problems. I got the MAF from explorer express but their customer service is horrible and was of no help. when I put back the ram air everything returns to normal. I don't have a chip or any other mods so can someone help me with this. this is really bugging me

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What you just experienced is what I was talking about in an earlier thread, and nobody believed me. MAF sensors are tuned to what is upstream of them, if you alter the flow in front of sensor, it alters it's signal, and fuel delivery is dependent on what the maf "sees" as air flow.
You might try cleaning the maf sensor, or if that doesn't work, lengthen the adapter between filter and MAF. Also, EE customer service probably can't help with a PRO-M problem, as Pro-M is out of business
Here is pro-m recalibrate form, as you can see, the setup upstream of maf is critical

Attachments

• pro-m recalibrate.jpg
    pro-m recalibrate.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 332

ok, then would a computer chip be able to recalibrate the MAF sensors flow. I hate to buy a new MAF sensor.

It should be able to but check the specs on the chip to make sure. Most will recalibrate both the MAF, TPS, and IAC to get optimum performace along with other adjustments.

Before spending money, try resetting your KAM (keep alive memory) by disconnecting the positive battery cable wire for 10 minutes. If you have established parameters in your PCM, then an abnormal sensor reading will potentially set off the CEL. I would also do a MAF cleaning procedure as recommended above.

After resetting the memory, drive the vehicle for a while as it will reset the memory parameters and likely not trigger the CEL.

well, I tried disconnecting the battery and the CEL light keeps coming on after driving about ten miles. Tomorrow I will hook the conical filter up to the OEM MAF and see what happens. hope it does not interfer with my 24lb injectors.

RickOTR said:
ok, I decided to get rid of my ram air intake that was hooked up tp my OEM air box and put an adapter and K&N filter onto the MAF. I can drive it for about ten miles but then the CEL light comes on. Codes are 0171 and 0174 (banks 1 and 2 are excessively lean). I have a 75mm Pro-M MAF that I have had for about two years with no problems. I got the MAF from explorer express but their customer service is horrible and was of no help. when I put back the ram air everything returns to normal. I don't have a chip or any other mods so can someone help me with this. this is really bugging me
Just wondering, but is there a chance your adapter plate, or something in there is blocking the sampling tube in the MAF sensor, or maybe the hole on the adapter doesn't match correctly and causes a swirl ? Also, try rotating the filter 90 degrees? I know this sounds strange but it is worth a look

RickOTR said:
well, I tried disconnecting the battery and the CEL light keeps coming on after driving about ten miles. Tomorrow I will hook the conical filter up to the OEM MAF and see what happens. hope it does not interfer with my 24lb injectors.
A MAF is calibrated to injector size.
I don't know about this

if you have 24# injectors you must use a 24# injector mas
Why do you have 24#?
supercharged?

410Fortune said:
if you have 24# injectors you must use a 24# injector mas
Why do you have 24#?
supercharged?
Some people are experimenting with the SOHC V6, with intake, exhaust, the proper MAF and 24# injectors instead of 19s, and a killer flasher program :D
you too can make 224 RWHP, no joke :eek:

Um the 19# injectors can't handle that power or what?
Interesting....

spindlecone said:
Some people are experimenting with the SOHC V6, with intake, exhaust, the proper MAF and 24# injectors instead of 19s, and a killer flasher program :D
you too can make 224 RWHP, no joke :eek:

I find your ideas intriguing, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. :D

bdriver000 said:
I find your ideas intriguing, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. :D
Is no newsletter, and there will not be one

the 24lb injectors are calibrated to the Pro-M MAF and have given me a dyno proven 20 rwhp gain. Stock MAF sensor would not work today so I went back to the Ram Air system which works well right now. MAF reading with cronical filter and adapter is .34 to .38, while Ram Air run off of stock air box is .55 to .58. This is a big difference in readings. I talked to several computer chip companies today and they said I can order a chip that will modify the MAF readings so that the new cold air intake will not set off the CEL. I think I will stay with the Ram Air system for now as I did not notice that much of a differnece with the cold air intake.

I wanna see your 98 Sport with the 4.6L?? where is that project at?

RickOTR said:
the 24lb injectors are calibrated to the Pro-M MAF and have given me a dyno proven 20 rwhp gain. Stock MAF sensor would not work today so I went back to the Ram Air system which works well right now. MAF reading with cronical filter and adapter is .34 to .38, while Ram Air run off of stock air box is .55 to .58. This is a big difference in readings. I talked to several computer chip companies today and they said I can order a chip that will modify the MAF readings so that the new cold air intake will not set off the CEL. I think I will stay with the Ram Air system for now as I did not notice that much of a differnece with the cold air intake.
Rick your numbers are drop dead nuts to what others have seen with certain mods, congrats, how did you hear about it.

Rick, you might try 'clocking' the MAF, and see if that has any effect on the MIL turning on. Try turning it 45*, 90*, and 135* around in the intake tube, and drive it at each setting. It's the air turbulence across the wires that's setting the codes, rather than the calibration. If clocking the MAF dosen't help, you may have to experiment with vanes in front of the MAF, to smooth out the airflow.

ROE

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
Rick, you might try 'clocking' the MAF, and see if that has any effect on the MIL turning on. Try turning it 45*, 90*, and 135* around in the intake tube, and drive it at each setting. It's the air turbulence across the wires that's setting the codes, rather than the calibration. If clocking the MAF dosen't help, you may have to experiment with vanes in front of the MAF, to smooth out the airflow.

ROE
didn't I say that in post 7 ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

didn't I say that in post 7 ?
Also, try rotating the filter 90 degrees?
JT, great minds work in similiar ways. :D You rotate the filter, I rotate the MAF. Both techniques may give the same results, depending on what's causing the turbulence.

I started to suggest removing the Tornado insert to Rick, but that would have been too cruel.....

Back