• Register Today It's free!

New member - 04 Explorer Xls

G3Xplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Xls
Hello, I’m a new member and my name is Ethan. I am rebuilding and modifying a 2004 Explorer. It is the Xls base model with the 4.0L v6 and real wheel drive. My first simple modifications included a sound system upgrade and 22” wheels. The first major repair to it was pulling the engine and replacing the timing chains. I’m currently replacing the suspension all the way around, with oem struts with 2” or 3” strut spacers, upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, brakes and pads etc. I’ll post progress pictures if anyone is interested, I’ve attached the most recent pic. Be safe and God bless
8B53065B-09EE-49F2-8556-F65C959908D7.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, I’m a new member and my name is Ethan. I am rebuilding and modifying a 2004 Explorer. It is the Xls base model with the 4.0L v6 and real wheel drive. My first simple modifications included a sound system upgrade and 22” wheels. The first major repair to it was pulling the engine and replacing the timing chains. I’m currently replacing the suspension all the way around, with oem struts with 2” or 3” strut spacers, upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, brakes and pads etc. I’ll post progress pictures if anyone is interested, I’ve attached the most recent pic. Be safe and God blessView attachment 315368
I've got a quick question for you. Could you tell me how you got your spacers on. I'm having trouble with mine

Welcome Ethan.

I've got a quick question for you. Could you tell me how you got your spacers on. I'm having trouble with mine
To be honest, I am too. It’s not as simple as it sounded, lol. The strut is either angled wrong, where it’s not flush to the top mounting bracket or the bottom of the strut sticks out because it won’t fit inside the lower control arm. If I mount the bottom of the strut to the control arm first, the inward side of the spring is hits the frame before the top will go into place. The spacers I have are for the 4th generation Explorer, rather then the 3rd gen. I’m not positive of the size difference between the two at the moment, but I was told they would fit. At this point I’m not sure if a shorter spacer would even work but maybe a spring that’s not so wide. I’ll let ya know when I figure something out. Here’s a picture of what I’m dealing with:
B592C846-4B30-4BEB-A276-88D4B16E7107.jpeg

Back