New Member - 2000 Sport - Oklahoma | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Member - 2000 Sport - Oklahoma

FESCSteve

Reaction score
City, State
Stillwater, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hey all,

I am just (today actually) purchasing a 2wd 2000 Explorer Sport for my Daughter and have been reading up on them.

I have always been a blue oval fan, having owned rangers and full sized pickups as well as ford and mercury cars. By selecting the cars for my kids, I can also be a little enthusiastic about them while being familiar with maintenance issues. She's passing down an 85 mustang convertible to her younger sister. This 2000 Ex will be her car to take with her to college.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions soon as I pick it up. I've done a good deal of reading through these forums and can't really pin down one particular trouble area, which is a good thing I suppose.

Anyway - hope to get a chance to help out a bit. Let me know if I'm being a pest!

Steve

Well picked it up last night. It's a 2000 sport, 4.0L pushrod, 5speed auto. It needs an alignment I think because it's really sensitive to steering input and it tends to 'hunt' back and forth if the road is grooved even the slightest.

And wouldn't you know, I get in it to drive it to work this morning and the ABS light comes on LOL. I'll check the rear sensor first and the wheel sensors.

Another thing that makes me a bit nervous is the temperature gauge only get's about 1/4 way up - like the thermostat is missing perhaps? Or is it typical for this model to indicate a cool temperature?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

EDIT - ok - the ABS light went off at lunch. Probably some crud I picked up on the muddy roads last night finalyl got washed out along the highway to work.

Back