New Member 2017 Explorer 4x4 question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Member 2017 Explorer 4x4 question

Derek Fike

Reaction score
City, State
EDMOND
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XLT
Hi, my name is Derek Fike and I am looking to buy a 2017 xlt 4x4 explorer. Is there anything I need to know about these? Coming from an Edge, I know there are some things I wish I would have known about them like how the brake boosters and sync 2 modules are notorious for going out. Just curious if there is anything like that for the Explorers and specifically the 4x4 system.

Thanks!
Derek

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome.

Don't get the 3.5 or 3.5 EcoBoost, because the water pumps are expensive to replace. The PTUs will overheat and fail as well. Go with the 2.3 EcoBoost XLT AWD. The 2.3 uses a different PTU design. See if you can find one with the towing package as well. I forget if the 2.3 gets the engine oil cooler, but the 3.5 N/A with towing package gets an engine oil cooler.

Don't get the 3.5 or 3.5 EcoBoost, because the water pumps are expensive to replace. The PTUs will overheat and fail as well. Go with the 2.3 EcoBoost XLT AWD. The 2.3 uses a different PTU design. See if you can find one with the towing package as well. I forget if the 2.3 gets the engine oil cooler, but the 3.5 N/A with towing package gets an engine oil cooler.

Engine oil coolers are standard on towing packages, from what I understand.

Back