New member from Western PA with a 97 xlt 5.0 awd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New member from Western PA with a 97 xlt 5.0 awd

xtrememxrider

Reaction score
City, State
Beaver Falls PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0
Hey yall what up. i keep coming across the site so i decided to join. Like i said im from western pa and im in the process of building up my 97 explorer for offroading and show. Dont really have any mods done as of yet. Its gooing to be sitting for a little while due to my wheel bearing going out and catching my passenger side on fire but not to bad. Any ways Im a big Explorer fan and cant wait to get it done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome aboard

Welcome! Got any pics of the fire damage?

Welcome to Explorer Forum! Yea, I want to see this.

Ill get some pics. Like i said its not that bad but i have alot to replace. Most of the rubber stuff in the area just burnt like the axle boot, brake line, and the rubber in the caliper. my tire was ok but I have alot to replace. The rotor wore in to my brake holder and melted it so that my pads wont fit, Im not sure about the rotor you could see it was under severe heat and rusted from it but thats about it. the seals melted out of the caliper the abs line burnt off the bearing. Any ways i guess when you dont have the money right away it ends up costing a whole lot more. I noticed that prices for parts on the vehicle are expencive compared to other vehicles. Right now i have it parked and bought a soccer mom ford windstar to get back and forth to work while i rebuild the vehicle. Any one know a area around western pa eastern ohio that does custom lifts. Im looking for at least 7" to 10 " but cant find a kit. Ill take pics of the rebuild as i go but its gona take a while.

heres the axle boot
explorer001.jpg

heres the wheel bearing that blew out
explorer002.jpg

the bolt that holds in the wheel bearing. the axle sat in it so loose it was rubbing the bolts. the brake bracket is also in the pic. My rotor rubbed over an 1/8" into the bracket
explorer007.jpg

The caliper and brake line. its kind of hard to see the damage in the pic
explorer003.jpg

the rotor
explorer008.jpg

Back