new member need help with engine swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new member need help with engine swap

piromaniac193

Reaction score
City, State
port jefferson, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 v8 XLT
Hey im new here i have a 97 explorer ive been building a prerunner out of i have dixonbros front end deaver long travel springs walker evens shocks full cage fiberwerx one piece hood 7 inch flares fiberglass dash 9" rear and tons more the engine in it is an old 5.0l v8 its time for a new one. I have a superharged 5.4L gt500 engine with 2000 miles on it but it has no tranny wiring harness and a melted pistpn. No other damage tho. Has anyone herd of someone swaping an engine like this in or would i be better off building a 302 and swaping in a new transmision as well. What does everyone think about the dificulty and cost of the engine swaps. Thanks for the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

stay with SBF 5.0L

Staying with the small block Ford 5.0L will be simpler and much less expensive. Replacing a 4.6L with a 5.4L is probably less complicated that replacing a 5.0L with a 5.8L or a 347ci. Would you rather spend your money and effort on incorporating a non-standard engine family or increasing the performance of a standard engine? The more complicated the swap the greater the chance of not completing due to insufficient funds or waning interest.

What i was thinking is the 5.4l would be a much more reliable engine and is 500hp as is the wiring harness and ecu and eveything else i need to make the engine run was like 1300 for a hotrod wirinfharness kit. That leaves buting a transmision and conecting it to the transfercase. As for fitting it i have the engine bay cut out for wheel travel reasons and am waiting to build an engine cage and radiator support till i figure out what i am using. Anoher cosideration is weighht it is a bigger engine but it is an aluminum block

Back