New member with 2008 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New member with 2008 Explorer

Larryjb

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer
I signed up awhile ago, but hadn't yet purchased an Explorer. I am now an owner of a 2008 Explorer. It's very nice and clean inside. Compared to my Tahoe, the Explorer has more electronic goodies, while the Tahoe has more practical storage space. Part of that is the options that the Explorer came with (7 seater has not centre console), part of it is the fact that the Explorer is smaller. The Explorer is perfect for my wife for ferrying kids around, the other is perfect for me.

On a side note, I had been looking for an Expedition for myself earlier this year. All of the Expeditions I looked at were all beaten up. The Tahoe was in very nice shape. The Explorer is the only recent North American smaller SUV that actually comes with a full frame and a V8. For that reason I didn't want a fifth generation Explorer.

Larry

I don't know if I could call one softer than the other. The Explorer tends to be bounced around easier by bumps in the road, but you'd expect that because of the mass difference between the two. A heavier vehicle tends to give a smoother ride. Explorer: 4700 lbs; Tahoe: 5000 lbs In terms of weight distribution, the Explorer is about 17% heavier on the front than the rear, while the Tahoe is only about 10% heavier.

I would imagine that the fifth generation Explorer is a harsher ride than the BOF generations.

I have had only 1 unibody vehicle, a 1999 Lesabre. My 1992 Grand Marquis rode much nicer than the Buick. I just don't get why people think unibody handles so much better. I hated going over speed bumps in my Buick. In the Mercury, Explorer, and Tahoe, um, was there a speed bump there? (I don't speed through these areas, just so you know!)

Larry

I was asked last year to compare the ride in the 08 Explorer to that in the 02 Tahoe. In many respects I was unable to provide a fair comparison because the shocks in the Tahoe were totally shot.

I just finished replacing the Tahoe shocks with Bilsteins so I can give a slightly better comparison. However, any electronic ride control features of the Tahoe are no longer present, while they are all functional on the Explorer. The Explorer has a fairly stiff, but not harsh ride. I suspect that is due to a very stiff frame and the valving in the shocks. I can see that some people would love it, but I'm not convinced that I do. The ride in the Tahoe is smooth and not bouncy-stiff like the Explorer.

However, I did not buy these trucks to be sports cars.

Back