new member with a busted off spark plug | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new member with a busted off spark plug

XxxMonoxideChild

Reaction score
City, State
Rockford, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 pile
hello everyone. im a newer member with a 92 explorer.

i recently tried to do a tune up on the truck, only to find out the plugs in it, were the originals. i knocked out the passenger quite easy even though the parts guy said the rear is a pain. but on the drivers side, the front, and rear snapped off in the head. (i had to take a pic to the area even to find the spark plug to remove it)

this started two days ago. ive tried massive amounts of heat (mapp gas), PB blaster, EZ out's, screw extractors.

i got the front one removed, but the rear drivers side is putting on a fight. ive tried seperating it with a flat head and hammer.

basically, from searching here, ive tried everything anyones posted and still its stuck. this seems to be a typical problem, and im just hoping someone can give me a few other ideas to try. otherwise its looking like ill be drilling it out and re-tapping it. :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nope, on both that broke, the hex shape came out. it snapped right below that. so i was able to remove the hex shape part of metal, and the ceramic internals of the plug, but the lower metal section that actually threads in, is still stuck.

so far i was able to get one out. but the rear drivers side one is at a awkward spot, and has been putting up quite a fight.

I am with you bro

I can definitely relate. The longer you soak the plug with pb the more it can work, like everyday for a week. Did you heat the plug then hit it with pb blaster while still real hot. The heat draws the pb into the threads of the plug. Man what a bear.
The other thing, and this is not a joke, try finding a left handed drill bit. They drill to the left, and sometimes you go to drill and the plug breaks free. My brother had this same problem, he had some extracer looking thing, he said it was the only one that will work. Maybe I ll ask him what it was tonight.

That truely sucks. Don't forget parts of those plugs may have fallen inside the cylinders. Check to make sure you have every single piece. If you drill, there will surely be filings inside. You might have to remove the head to prevent further damage.

ive been using a flexable magnet to remove shavings as ive worked on it. along with a vacuum with a piece of hose taped to the end.

really im alot more worried about getting it fixed, and running at this point then any little shavings.

last night my EZ out stripped!! and is currently stuck in the hole. had no choice but to try to get it out using vice grips. its still stuck, and stripped......

so im pretty much fugged right now. i dont know what i can do other then replace the head at this point.... im hurting for idea's being that i really need this back on the road by monday or im very screwed...

your easy out stripped

Exactly what do you mean,its stuck in the hole? Did it snap? You can get vise grips on it? Is it turning. Why wont it come out, exactly. You might be able to put the vise grips on and slide hammer it out. Then epoxy the new plug back in. But I am not sure of you situation.

welcome 2 to the forum

Exactly what do you mean,its stuck in the hole?

the head of the EZ out is (or was originally) square shaped. exactly like any tap. well i had so much force on it trying to remove whats left of my spark plug, it stripped the head of the EZ out. and now, thats stuck inside of whats left of my spark plug.

i tried to use vice grip's to help remove the stripped EZ out, and that just furthur damaged it.

i still have the full EZ out in the head, and cant get a good enough grip on it, to remove it, and try another EZ out. hope that helps you understand my current problem.

for reference, here's a horrible pic of the ez out stuck. lol

IMG_6697.jpg

what a pita

What I would try now is to try and find a cheap chinese socket and pound it on the head of the easy out. The reason for the cheap socket is the metal is soft and will often conform to the stripped bolt. First maybe try and find a metric or stanard socket thatwill fit. Or if you have a welder, weld a nut to the easy out, but you probably do not have room. I snapped my first easy out off in an exhaust manifold. After it breaks off inside, they are impossible to drill. Always buy high quility easy outs. Good luck.

oh, nice picture, thanks

Did you try buying a different pair of vise grips. They make a neddle nose type. Also, would removing the exhaust manifold may give you more room to work. The other thing, and I really hate to say this, but you said you really need to drive the X. Did that ez out seal the compression, can you drive it on five? Also, you may be able to grind the head flater or something to get a socket on the easy out

i got the EZout, out yesterday. matco actually makes a set of square sockets specially for taps, and EZ outs. found out my friend had a set, and got the EZout removed.

havent beeen able to get the remaining part of the spark plug out though. im gonna remove my brake master cyl, and start drilling it out tonight when i get home from work. im hoping ill be lucky, and not have to tap it. just drill out some remaining threads. but we will see.

^
no idea. untill i saw this set, i had never even heard of a square 4 sided socket. only 6-8-and 12 point's.

i did go to all my local hardware stores in search of a set that i could purchase, and no one had them. i just know the set i used was a matco set.

Matco is a good brand, let us know what happens. Good work getting that ez out removed. I was wondering when removing the power boster if there is a recall on those. Something about the bolts rusting and snapping off.

i had to do stuff around the house, and didnt have time to work on the truck yesterday. ill tell you how te removal goes of the master cyl.

if anyone is intrested. i also posted pics of the truck in the photo section. ive only had it about 2 weeks so i havent had time to do much to it.

here's the link. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212889

sk has a socket set that works on square, six point, twelve point, half rounded nuts, male torx, and splined fasteners, check it out on www.wttool.com search socket sets.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a PITA! Hope you get it fixed soon, bud!

Back