New owner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New owner

virtualdj

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport 2dr
I am taking possession of a 2000 Explorer Sport 2 door, v6 4.0. The person that owns it is giving it to me because they don't use it at all and have let it sit for far too long. At first gander the battery is dead, the rotors are heavily rusted and the owner says there was some grinding on the front passenger side when he was driving it. I am actually just going to do brakes and rotors all around. frame wise and the rest of the undercarriage are rusty but clean and dry, not brittle. The rear end sags a little bit. It has about 133,000 miles.

I am curious to know what items I should be really paying attention to specifically for this model and year. As stated earlier I am doing breaks, checking all fluids, oil change, general clean up throughout, new battery.

Anything particular with this year/model I should worry about specifically?

Thanks,

DJ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome!
Its a good idea to check tie rods and ball joints. Also watch the tranny. If you got the 4.0 Sohc listen for the death rattle. Otherwise these are great vehicles. I have a 98 sport and love it.
Other things to replace are the usual as well. Spark plugs and wires, fuel filter, air filter
Lastly you might want to clean maf sensor and throttle body.

Good luck with your truck.

Make sure the heat and AC work properly. Hopefully, you don't have any blend door issues.

If the grinding continues in the front after doing brakes, and issue could be wheel bearings. They like to go bad and annoy the crap out you with it's grinding and squealing.

One way you can tell its a wheel bearing is when you change the brakes, check the pads if they are worn on an angle it most likely the wheel bearing. had that problem on my 97 sport.

Back