• Register Today It's free!

New Replacement Calipers

MikeTEC

Reaction score
City, State
Central Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer 4.6L
Getting ready to replace the front calipers on my 93 EB in the near future. I have the slotted rotors from Explorer Express. Are there any brand of calipers that seem to help with stopping power, better quality, or are the Ford OEM calipers better? Thanks for your help. Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Mike,
I have no trouble with the stock calipers, but if you want better braking, why not change your rear drums out for a set of disc's

how would it look if i painted the calipers say white or red? can you see them easily through the stock rims?

Thanks, Ray. I am trying to keep my 93 as close to orginal as possible. The slotted rotors really helped but thought some manufacturer, ie..Bendix, Raybestos, might have a HD aftermarket caliper which would be better than stock Ford OEM. However, like you, the Ford calipers have served me well 105K miles, so I may use them again if I can't find better ones. Mike

Do you mean the entire caliper or just the pads?

Al:
I plan to replace both entire front calipers w/o pads and use my performance friction pads, which are practically new, if possible. If I use Ford OEM or another brand of calipers that have good pads that come with them, I will use those pads. I am looking for the best brand of new calipers primarily. Mike

Mike, I am curious.... why are you replacing the calipers?

Thanks....

Al: Over a period of time, caliper pistons develop deposits/marks and this, along with aging brake fluid and high milage, causes calipers to deterioate as they get older, ie..they just wear out. I plan to tow my small travel trailer over some mountains and I want the best front braking action I can get. Read somewhere front brakes on trucks represent at least 70% of the stopping power. Perhaps I am overly caucious, but I perfer to spend extra money for safety's sake. Mike

Thanks for the answer.

Good luck....

Mike,
You know that you can rebuild them. Just a thought.

Back