sound like a stuck caliper? | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sound like a stuck caliper?

The U- Joints i am referring to are the ones at the END of the axle behind the spindle. THEY DO turn when the wheels turn because they are attached to the wheel, they may not be turning by the differental due to 4wd not being engauged but they will move with the wheel. try it... you will see the U-Joint binding if there is a problem. my issue is probibaly more severe than yours but like i said if your steering wanders or sticks this may be the issue. the axle shafts are not being spun by the diff, yes but they still spin freeley. otherwise something would break...look at the area behind the spindle you will see the U- Joint and if the vehicle is off the ground turn the tire IT WILL SPIN steering the truck will also make them spin...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jgilbs said:
so theres no leak? i just refill it with ATF and I should be good?

yep no big deal. though is it supposed to be ATF fluid???

Nate

make sure you installed the bearings correctly and then measure the rotors to make sure that they are the correct thickness they might be defective or something

tlivingd said:
yep no big deal. though is it supposed to be ATF fluid???

Nate

The powersteering system can use ATF or Powersteering fluid. I use a 50/50 mix of Prestone PS fluid and Dexron III. Don't but the "stop leak" ATF.

I thought it might have been the pistons sticking in the caliper because of your wedge shaped pads, then I saw that you had bought new pads.

Maybe the old wedge shaped pads caused some piston/cylinder damage before they were replaced?

Pheonixx77 said:
The U- Joints i am referring to are the ones at the END of the axle behind the spindle. THEY DO turn when the wheels turn because they are attached to the wheel, they may not be turning by the differental due to 4wd not being engauged but they will move with the wheel. try it... you will see the U-Joint binding if there is a problem. my issue is probibaly more severe than yours but like i said if your steering wanders or sticks this may be the issue. the axle shafts are not being spun by the diff, yes but they still spin freeley. otherwise something would break...look at the area behind the spindle you will see the U- Joint and if the vehicle is off the ground turn the tire IT WILL SPIN steering the truck will also make them spin...

My front axle joints will only turn when it is in four wheel drive or I have the hubs locked. In two wheel drive and hubs unlocked they never will turn.

Don;t know if I posted this before, but problem solved. Turned out I was being overly cautious. The pads just needed a breaking-in period. They now stop better than ever before, except for that annoying "REAR ANTILOCK" light that is now lit on my dash :mad:

Glad to hear it's fixed.

The RABS light might be on due to air in the line.

Back