New Shocks For 97 Explorer 4x4 and Big Bear, Calif | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Shocks For 97 Explorer 4x4 and Big Bear, Calif

BrownDogs

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explr 4x4 XLT V6SOHC
I'm new to off-roading (so be kind ;-) and plan to take my 97 4x4 to Big Bear Lake, CA soon.

I intend to replace the stock shocks with Bilstein's. The guy at the shop mentioned axle wrap and said the Exlplorers have a 5th shock to handle axle wrap. He suggest I replace all 5 shocks. Is this correct?

Any advice for novice off-road trails in Big Bear area? I've got a Sidekick Off-Road map and the Delormes map book.

Looks like the road 2N13 from Fawnskin to Green Valley would be nice. How long would that trip take altogether? Is it fairly easy? Maybe too easy? I'm not looking to go on a really rough ride this time. Or the east side near Baldwin Lake (3N16) that goes up to the old abandoned mines looks good.

What does it mean in the Sidekick Off-Road map when it says a road is "Trail Guide" highlighted in yellow?

Any advice on shocks, trails, etc... are welcome.

Thanks,

-Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How bad do you need shocks? I ask because you are about to get hooked on wheeling, and you'll soon be wanting a lift, at which point your Bilsteins will need to be replaced with longer ones.
That's what happened to me anyways.

I've never seen one of those 5th shocks, but from reading other posts, just take it off. Or,if you keep it on, no need to upgrade it.

For trail maps, you have two good ones. I also suggest finding a book called 4Wheelers Guide to the San Bernadino Mtns, or something close to that. My copy is at work, so I can't check it.

You might want to post in the Serious Explorations forum before you go, there's others in the area that might join you.

Your 5th shock has nothing to do with axle wrap. That isn't a problem with the axle being above the leafs. It has to do with dampening the vibrations from the rear axle. Ford felt that the 4-doors had too much vibration from the rear axle getting transmitted into the cabin. The 5th shock eliminates it. Many aftermarket shock companies (Edelbrock does for sure) recommend removing the 5th shock since their shocks are high enough quality to control the vibration without the need for the 5th one.

If you plan on doing a lot of off-roading, Bilsteins are more preferred for street driving whereas Edelbrocks are more popular for off-roading. Of course there are a zillion other shocks some better for street, some better for off-road. My Explorer Express catalog has a good description of why they prefer the Edelbrocks over the Bilsteins. They like The IAS valve that allows the shock to remain soft for one cycle.

Hi markmeen, and Welcome to the website.
You don't need that 5th shock, and in fact it hampers the articulation in the rear with it still installed. I took mine of my 97 along time ago and haven't noticed any vibrations without it.
The 5th shock is really not a shock at all but a damper, because there is resistence in both directions.Get rid of it.

Sorry this is off topic but i needed to get a hold of Ray. Ray, i need your help. For the brake line bracket in the rear, did u bend it down to give slack for the extended length or did u just move down the bracket? thanks

I just moved it down. There's plenty of slack.

Thanks for the shock info

Thanks to RangerX, Robert and Ray for responding.

Well, I went and got the Bilsteins put on anyway. The stock shocks were pretty bad and I decided to replace with Bilsteins now.

RangerX is probably gonna be right and I'll want a lift soon. But it'll take me a while to figure out what I'm going to do to it. So in the mean time I'll enjoy the better ride I'm getting from the Bilsteins.

I think I'll take off the 5th axle shock (damper) sometime in the futre and see how it performs without it. But for now the 5th shock on the axle is installed. Thanks to Robert and Ray for their comments on that axle shock.

I'm leaving for Big Bear tomorrow for a week in the mountains. :)

-Mark

Back