New starter, new battery, new relay, no crank. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New starter, new battery, new relay, no crank.

Joe Techy

Reaction score
City, State
Ocala,florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer xlt
96 explorer xlt 5.0 awd
Positive batery terminal gets real hot when i try to start
Will start with jump (sometimes)
Dash lights are dim but battery reads 12.56

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Read the voltage from somewhere besides the battery terminals. I think you have a cable or connection issue. Does everything else work, like interior electronics, and lights?

Read the voltage from somewhere besides the battery terminals. I think you have a cable or connection issue. Does everything else work, like interior electronics, and lights?
Very dim

Are your ground connections to the block good?

If the positive gets hot, I’d think you have a high resistance in that cable, or terminal. I’d the lights are dim, its between the battery and the power distribution. If everything else worked, and just had a no start, I’d suspect the cabling or connections at the starter.

If the positive gets hot, I’d think you have a high resistance in that cable, or terminal. I’d the lights are dim, its between the battery and the power distribution. If everything else worked, and just had a no start, I’d suspect the cabling or connections at the starter.
Cant find anything like a ground for starter. Am i missing something there?

Starter grounds through the block. The issue isn’t the starter connection or wiring, or everything wouldn’t be effected. What kind of terminal do you have on the positive?

Back