• Register Today It's free!

No crank PLEASEEE HELP!!!!

cleudard01

Reaction score
City, State
White Sulphur Springs, W.V.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 & 97.5 expl.spt
Hi guys, back at the 'ol 97 sohc. Raining today & got in it & no crank. Checked battery & cables, ok. Checked inertia switch, ok. Jumped solenoid w/key on & starts & runs. Loosened tranny position switch & rotated it while in crank position, still nothing, also tried starting in every shifter position.
Noticed the small red wire @ the solenoid wasn't doing anything in the start position. Should go to power or ground, shouldn't it? Everything seems to be acting ok in the start position, fuel pump runs, electrical, lights, radio & all flash off in the crank position, just as it should. Starter relay seems to click too. I did jump pins 30 & 87 just for fun, & still nothing. Not sure I had the right relay. Is it the 1st or 2nd relay from the front in the row beside the battery? I think it was the 2nd. I guess I might need a wiring diagram or PCM inputs & outputs & wire colors, I don't know......PLEASEEEEE HELP!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

starter relay clicks, but is the voltage making it to the starter ??
i have seen cables that check out fine, but still no start,, the way to definately check the red wire to the starter is to use a test light , and hit the key , see if light comes on,
if it does , than the battery cable is not carrying enough power, or the solenoid is bad,

makes alota sense

Thanks bud, I'll get more up in it, in the morning!

Thanks for the pointers, guys. I found the problem yesterday. I had recently replaced the left upper control arm. I had to bend the bracket that holds the pos. & neg. cables.
I saw the wires real close to the steering shaft & the egr tube. Not touching, though.
I bent the bracket away & the car started. So, I jacked it back up & found that I could move the ground connection. NOT REAL LOOSE! Tightened the pee waddin' out of it & I think she's a runner. YAY!!

Back