• Register Today It's free!

New Tires and TPMS problem

tcoughlin

Reaction score
City, State
Lilburn, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 XLT
Hi, Today i had a local tire shop install 4 new tires on my 2006 xlt. On the last tire, they broke the band holding the tpms sensor. They didn't have a band in stock so the ducktaped the sensor on and had me go to another tire shop. The 2nd shop was able to receive a signal from the 1 tire that had a broken band but not from the other 3. They replace the band and tried to retrain the system but kept getting the system train failed message. What would cause the other 3 sensors to stop emmitting a signal? The 2nd store even took the car for a 10 minute drive to try and get the sensors emmitting. I call the ford dealership and they said the first place probably destroyed the sensors but i watched them install the tires and the sensors were in tact when they put the new tires on.
Thanks in adavance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sometimes they dont alway re-learn on their own. There is a tool out there that looks like one of those metal detector security wands that they can wave infront of your tires. there is a way to re-learn them. Or else i would say its the tire shops fault and if the mesage was not on before they should have to pay for any fixes on it.

When i had my tires replaced they "said" the band was broke, but i really think they did it when they removed the old tires.

the 2nd shop was using the wand on the other 3 tires and couldn't pick up a signal

Is it this tool? http://www.eppys.com/ProductHighlight.aspx?ProductID=4121
4121_OTCOTC003.jpg

Thank you all for the input. It was the strangest thing. Tonight i went to downtown atlanta to watch the Thrashers game (loss in ot to the Rangers) On the way down, the dash flashed a tire fault sensor error it took us 30 mins or so to get there. When i got back in the car, the error was still there but during the drive home, it went away and i no longer see the cross section of the tire. Tomorrow i am going to take some air out of one tire to make sure the TPMS sensors are working.

Brooklyn: I believe its something like that. My understanding is they have the truck on, and that sends the frequencies to the tmps pickup and wakes it up to the new sensor in that wheel.

tcoughlin: The tire cross section icon on the dash will turn it self off after anywhere from 15 to 50 miles of driving. The sensors automatically relearn the sensors after being driven on fr a while.

Well, this morning when i left for work, i got the tire sensor error again and the cross section flashed for a few minutes then went off. The installer of the tires spoke with many people in our area about this and has me set up to see the only person that seemed to know anything about them on saturday.

Mine come on almost every morning, but im in minnesota. our highs now are mid to lower 20's. Have you tried to fill up your tires to the vehicles specs and not the what the tire shop did? I know where i went i dont think they did and my are under inflated a bit now. Dont forget during the cold you can loose 1psi for every 10 degrees of temperature drop.

Something like that. The one we (Ford Techs) use is similar, but official Ford/Rotunda version. That one should work fine.

The programming (with Ford's tool) is cycle key on and off 3 times, hit brake pedal with key on, cycle three more times, and leave in on position. Have helper go from around vehicle with tool near tires. (basically)

And BTW, light flashing is TPMS FAULT, constant on is low pressure (below 30 PSI)

Saturday I took my car to another tire shop. They had a tool and took it to every tire. It seems there was no signal coming from my left front (not the tire that they broke the band on). I drove back to the initial tire shop and had them open up that wheel. No sensor anywhere. It appears that when they took the old tire off, they broke the sensor off but the band stayed on . The new tire place will but a new sensor on, $98.26 total and it should be installed in a few days.

Thanks for all the information posted here.

Back