New Tires for 94 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Tires for 94 Explorer

Short Background-(well as short as I can make it)
94 Explorer goes bumpity-bumpity and shakes a bit on:
1) highway at speeds around 57 and more
2) when driving slower (25-30) on uneven strest surfaces (ie. pot holes) and
3) when braking.
4) ALSO some grinding and generally bad noises coming from wheel area.

Things done-
1) new driver's and passenger's side auto hubs (grinding noise gone)
2) tire balance (some shaking stopped)
3) new shocks (some bumpity-bumpity gone)
4) new front driver's side rotor (all braking bumpity-bumpity gone)

At this point the there was still shaking and bumity-bumpity on the highway driving and street driving on uneven surfaces (ie.. pot holes and such), but better than when started.

Today-
5) wheel alignment, new balance and new bushings

Well, I would like to write that all the rest of the bumpity-bumpity and shaking is gone but it isn't. The last thing today, took away about 25% of the shaking and bumpy feeling but there is still some.

They tire guy who did the wheel alignment, balance and bushings said that the tires were not rotated enough and have uneven wear. He said when taking me to work this morning that the tires that are on there are aggressive, more for off-roading (Desert Dogs, came with explorer). He suggested that to get rid of more of the bumpity-bumpity and shaking that new tires would help. He said it won't take all of it away but it would help.

My question is this:
First, does that sound right? This is my first truck EVER.
Second, I drive mostly highway and some back roads (most paved) and I do not do much 4x4ing what would be a good street/highway tire for it? The tire guy was suggesting some stock(?) SUV Firestone (didn't get the name) said everything, balance, plugs, installation, etc... would be ~$384. Now I've never had to buy truck tires only tires for my puttputt (toyota corrolla fx) is this a good price or high?

Well thanks for reading sorry for the length. Any help would be appreciated.

*loving my explorer even with the bumpity-bumpity*
skittles

------------------
I'm just a girlie girl who *smiles* and *giggles* alot... *smiles*

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Further on first tire balance-
The tire guy told me that the people who did the first tire balance, less than a month ago with only a week (if that) driving on it, did NOT do it right the first time!

Two of the tires were completely wrong!

First balance done by Ford dealer mechanics shop. Second done by tire store, deals only with tires and wheel area.

*still lovin' my explorer*
skittles

------------------

It seems that the more agressive the tire the worse the shaking and bumpity-bumpity is. I noticed it get worse on my '98 when I changed from the junk Firestone Wilderness HT (very hard compound, uncomfortable ride, small tire)to Goodyear Wrangler AT/S. It is not unbearable and the AT/S is a much better tire, so I don't complain. I think someone else said that bad radius arm bushings can cause shaking too. I need to check this on my '92 because my fillings are shaking loose. But that may be my tires.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Dead Link Removed

*smiles*

Paul I was just reading your site when you posted this. *smiles* Thanks for the insight. I'll have to check the radius arm bushings when I get home. I know they changed some bushings today just don't know which ones right now.

I thought it was the wheel alignment, which was very off when they checked it, but the bumpy/shakey feeling is still there. Not really sure what to do.

hmmmm...

Get new tires, if so which kind? Like I said I don't do much 4x4ing mostly street and highway.

You said Firestone and junk in the same sentence. I'll have to call the tire place and ask them what tire they were talking about putting on the explorer.

Thanks gain for the insight. I'll check the radius arm bushing and check into the tires.

*smiles*
skittles

------------------

Try the Pirelli Scorpion AT (it's the most bang for the buck), the Yokohama Geolandar AT, the BFG AT KO, or the Bridgestone Dueller AT. I wouldn't go with the Firestone, OEM tires.

The BFG and Bridgestone tires are new desgin, my first hand experience with the BFG AT KO off-road is extremely positive, I have the old Bridgestone Dueller AT and not very happy with these.

Most if not all offer a 40,000 miles warranty, the BFG AT KO also offers a towing guaranty.

Id you spend 90% or more on city/highway driving, I would suggest going with the Pirellis or the Yokohamas. Otherwise, go with the BFG AT KOs.

Check out the other posts on the various tires under this forum. Good luck.

I forgot to mention also, the Pirelli Scorpion ATs are better in the rain from my experience (BFG AT, Bridgestone Dueller AT, and Pirelli Scorpion AT) and also quieter.

[This message has been edited by kvo (edited 06-09-1999).]

Thanks for the info.

I am in the 90% catagory so I will have to look into those tires. This is a hard decision *laugh*, I know I know.. just like a woman...

*giggle*
skittles

------------------

Don't waste your money on the Firestones Wilderness AT. If it rains a lot where you live, consider the Pirelli, if not, try the new BFG AT KO. You can't go wrong either way. For the same size tire, the Pirelli is about $20 cheaper per tire than the BFG AT KO.

About the shaky/bumpy feel, does your Explorer have aftermarket wheels? After I installed my after market wheels and new tires, I thought the tires were not properly balanced and brought them back to the tire shop three times, turned out that the wheels themselves are the cause. The lug holes in the wheel are bigger than the OEM so when the tire shop tightens the wheels, they typically tighten each lug before the next so the wheel and tire combination are not centered in the lug pattern. They act like out of balanced flywheel, each corner acts differently, that's how I got my shake, bumpy, bounciness feeling on the freeway.

I found this out and now have to manually tighten the lugs evenly whenever it's removed. Hand tighten and turn the wheel until there is no play, then torque each lug a quarter to a half turn until you reach the recommended specs (100 lb-ft). It's a slow and tideous process but for me it comes closest to getting rid of all the shakes and bumpy feeling at freway speed.

Kvo can't you get lug nuts that fit the lugholes in the wheel better? i would think someone makes a wide flare nut that would center the holes for you? my dodge did that same thing with the cragar el cheapo rims and i almost lost the front end because of it. i found a lug nut that fit better . hope this helps, and thanx for the tire advice, i might get a set of the BFG at kos i had BFG MT s and i liked em'

Hey skittles,

I can comment on two different tires I've had on my Explorer. I drove on a set of 30x9.5 Dunlop Radial Rover RV's and currently on a set of 31x10.5 Yokohama Geolandar A/T's. The Radial Rover's are a good all-around tire best suited for on-road use. They are highly rated by consumer reports for SUV's and lasted me 70K kms. (I probably had another 10K kms out of them, but was itching for new 31s!)

The Yokohama Geolandar A/T's are outstanding. They have probably the best wet traction of comparable A/T tires and have great on road as well as off road traction. They aren't very noisy. I can't really comment much on wear, but they still look as new after 20K kms.

I also checked into the Pirelli and Bridgestone tires when I was researching. They are both good tires, but the new tread design on the Yoko's won me. I didn't consider the BFG A/T's as the tread design is very tight and I was concerned about snow and trail traction. The new BFG KO's look like they've addressed that issue. I'd go for best price out of the tires mentioned by people here. I also agree that you should stay away from the Firestones or any other "everyday joe tire". Also check if you get a road hazzard warranty, and perks like free balance and lifetime rotations!

------------------
Cheers,

Andrew B.
1996 Ford Explorer 4x4 (slightly modified)
BC, Canada

Okay... the tire guys said the tires I got on a quote are the Firestone Wilderness AT.. ahhh... this is too much to handle... *laugh*

------------------

Hi Skittles,
The Firestones areJUNK!!
I have had good results with the Goodyear if you want mostly pavment driving, with little of road driving. I have BFG AT's now and looking at the BFG AT KO's for my next set.
I hear that the Pirelli Scorpion AT's are very good also. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L. :)
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

OH this tire thing... *laughing*

OK! I am definitely NOT getting Firestone!!!

This Explorer was a used car purchase so I don't know if the rims where the original or after market.

I don't do any off roading. Most of the driving is highway or streets. I live in PA. the winters are snow and rain. The springs and falls are wet and the summers are both dry, hot, humid, and wet.

I am looking at either the BFG Radial Trail T/A (whatever that stands for and if I can find them somewhere local) or the Pirelli.

Ahh to much to think about. Going on internet to do some more researching. I can live with the bumpiness for a while longer.

OH KVO... the bumpiness was even after the tires were taken off and hand tightened. Thanks for the insight though. We will try taking them off and hand tightening them again tonight since the wheel alignment and new balance.

Again to all, thank you for all the insight and advice.

*confused smiles*
skittles

------------------

I just thought of some thing else. Do you have a steering stabilizer installed? If not, by installing one, it could get rid of almost all of your shaking problems right there. The one I have from JC Whitney is a bolt on unit, no driling required, 30 minutes max.

Kyle - Thanks, I'll try the wider flare lug nuts.

[This message has been edited by kvo (edited 06-10-1999).]

I don't really know. I'll have to look into that. But I doubt it is on there. What exactly is this and where can I read more about it. It seems to shake a lot more with just me in it less when I have a passenger which I know is from the weight. The bumpiness is when I am on the highway.

Thanks for your help!!
*smiles*
skittles

------------------

Here is a fix (not really) I just slapped on a set of 33-inch TSL Thornbirds.
Good News: speed shakes went away
Bad News: It shakes all the time now, but im gettin used to it.

bye the way this is not good advice, but i love them tires.

------------------
I buried my 88 Toyota, RIP

*giggling*

thanks.... i think....

*giggling*
skittles

------------------

Skittles:
I am having very much the same problem with a 91 Explorer sport just bought. Are the tires on yours P235 or LT235 (thats the size written on the side of the tire) the LT's are light truck tires and will amplify any road road jitter more than the passenger car type tires (P235). Also what tire pressure are you running? The tire may call for 40 or 50 lbs max pressure if they are LT's but if you run with that much pressure you will have a harsh ride. Inflate them to what your owners manual says, 26 to 35 lbs. It is real confusing trying to decide which tire to get because all the tire sales people assure you of how great their product is. No one seems to be unhappy with the Michelin LTX AT but they cost a little more that most. Is anyone running the Goodyear Wrangler GS-A tires ? They have a interesting looking duel use tread design and I'm guessing that they would have a pretty soft ride. I'm really considering the BGF AT but I'm afraid of a harsh ride and my wife won't ride in it if I can't improve the ride.
Let me know what tires you get and how they work out for you. I wish someone would do a tire happiness survey of Explored owners and publish the result.
stevetichy@hotmail.com

If you do little or no off-roading, I would go with an all-season (AS) tire rather than an all-terrain (AT). I do a little off-roading with mine, even with all-season Michelin XCX/APT tires on it. And the AS tires ride, handle, and grip better on pavement than any AT I've ever tried. Just something to think about. Of course, if I was to do it again, I would get the same kind of tire in either 31x10.5 or 265/75-15 rather than the factory 235/75-15s.

------------------
Danny
93SHO
91EB
www.hit.net/~danny/explorer.html

Thank you ALL for all your insight!!!

I got the Pirelli Scorpin AT, and I LOVE THEM!!!

Quiet and shake and wiggle and bumpity bumpity almost all gone. I do have to go back to the place that did the alignment and have them redo it. It started becoming really back the second day after the alignment was done. They better just fixed it and not make me pay for a whole other alignment!!!

Anyway... though you would like to know I got tires and I LOVE THEM!!

*smiles*
skittles
*lovin' the new ties!*

------------------

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well Skittles

Congratulations on your tire purchase...I hope they do you well. Just to throw my bit in for future reference...

My previous Explorer (93 XLT 2WD 5spd) came with the Firestone Radial ATX's. Pretty tire, but hydroplaned like crazy, noisy, and had a pretty harsh ride (I'm 95% highway). When they wore out (62K mi) I put Goodyear Weatherhandlers (from Sears) on. The change was amazing...hydroplaning virtually eliminated, superior dry traction and handling, and the ride was vastly smoother and quieter (and still got me through the snow in Iowa visiting in-laws). Great Investment

Presently have a 96 EB AWD that originally came with the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S's P235/75R15. They too were louder than I wanted, and somewhat floaty during highspeed maneuvers, as well as cupped from the previous owner. I swapped them out for Kelly Charger P255/70R15. The ride smoothed out, they provide the traction and maneuverability I wanted (brakes are dangerous at highway speed).

I've recently developed 'the vibes' to go along with 'the chirping', so will be changing out ALL 5 U-JOINTS this week before my trip to Florida (I'll be able to grease them like a true american automobile should be greased), and will have data for other 5.0L owners on air filter canister holes.

Smooth Runnings to you and yours...

------------------
Don't Worry about things you can control...
Don't Worry about things you cannot control.

96 Eddie Bauer AWD V8

Back