New Tires for 94 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Tires for 94 Explorer

Short Background-(well as short as I can make it)
94 Explorer goes bumpity-bumpity and shakes a bit on:
1) highway at speeds around 57 and more
2) when driving slower (25-30) on uneven strest surfaces (ie. pot holes) and
3) when braking.
4) ALSO some grinding and generally bad noises coming from wheel area.

Things done-
1) new driver's and passenger's side auto hubs (grinding noise gone)
2) tire balance (some shaking stopped)
3) new shocks (some bumpity-bumpity gone)
4) new front driver's side rotor (all braking bumpity-bumpity gone)

At this point the there was still shaking and bumity-bumpity on the highway driving and street driving on uneven surfaces (ie.. pot holes and such), but better than when started.

Today-
5) wheel alignment, new balance and new bushings

Well, I would like to write that all the rest of the bumpity-bumpity and shaking is gone but it isn't. The last thing today, took away about 25% of the shaking and bumpy feeling but there is still some.

They tire guy who did the wheel alignment, balance and bushings said that the tires were not rotated enough and have uneven wear. He said when taking me to work this morning that the tires that are on there are aggressive, more for off-roading (Desert Dogs, came with explorer). He suggested that to get rid of more of the bumpity-bumpity and shaking that new tires would help. He said it won't take all of it away but it would help.

My question is this:
First, does that sound right? This is my first truck EVER.
Second, I drive mostly highway and some back roads (most paved) and I do not do much 4x4ing what would be a good street/highway tire for it? The tire guy was suggesting some stock(?) SUV Firestone (didn't get the name) said everything, balance, plugs, installation, etc... would be ~$384. Now I've never had to buy truck tires only tires for my puttputt (toyota corrolla fx) is this a good price or high?

Well thanks for reading sorry for the length. Any help would be appreciated.

*loving my explorer even with the bumpity-bumpity*
skittles

------------------
I'm just a girlie girl who *smiles* and *giggles* alot... *smiles*

Getting back to your question on steering stabilizer, it is a shock absorber for your steering. It absorbs/dampens most if not all of the vibrations from the road to the tires to the steering system. I don't believe Explorers ('91-'94) have it as standard equipment.

It connects the steering linkage rod to the frame via the stabilizer. There are various kinds that you can get. For more information on the various make and installation methods, check out the "Shocks, Suspension,Lift Kits" forum, under "Steering Stabilizer" by IKE, last updated 5/31/99.

Congrats on your tire purchase.

Skittles-I have a '91XLT which had the same problem with the shakes. I found that having my wheels aligned at least once a year kept my tires from cupping (uneven wear). I also added a steering stabilizer from Rancho. It helps control the steering on hard knocks like bumps and potholes where I used to change lanes even if I didn't want to on the highways. It also helps your steering components last a little longer. I got mine about four years ago for about fifty dollars and intalled it myself. Your boyfriend should be able to help you in that department. I've heard from a member that Explorer's twin beams are notorious for cupping. I'd say having more street-like tire patterns and constant balances,rotation and alignments should keep the shakes from returning.

Back