New Tires - Michelin: LTX M/S or Cross Terrain | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Tires - Michelin: LTX M/S or Cross Terrain

Hi guys. I have an 01 EB with about 82k miles. I need new tires and I can't decide between the LTX M/S or the Cross Terrain. From what I can tell, they both have good points. 98% of the driving is on the street. So I'm not really concerned about off roading performance. I'm mainly interested in noise and ride. Treadlife is my next concern. However, both seem to get good treadlife. The Cross Terrain has a 65k mile rating. The LTX M/S doesn't give a treadlife rating. I also find it interesting that treadwear on the Cross Terrain is 700 and only gets 65k miles out of the tires.

Anyway, I would like to hear your experiences with the tires. I just need to know if I should go with the LTX M/S or the Cross Terrain tires.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello...I sell tires and I can tell you that the Cross Terrain will give you the absolute quietest ride available from any tire because it was designed specifically for SUV's but they won't last as long as the LTX M/S will...I have the LTX AT's on my 97 Sport and I really like them but I would go with the M/S if I were buying tires today...these will provide an excellent ride that I'm sure you'd be happy with...Barry

I've got the LTS M/S on my '98 Sport and love them. They ride nice, grip well, and do pretty well in the slush and snow come wintertime (not much of a problem down there, I'm sure). Grip in the rain is excellent as well.

I drove an '05 Explorer with the cross-terrains on it a couple weeks ago as a loaner, and the tires seemed to grip pretty well, although with only 4 days in the driver's seat, it's tough to tell whether it was the tires or the rest of the AdvanceTrac system and suspension engineering that influenced the handling ability more!! Regardless, they were very quiet and rode well. I'm not sure how they would do in the snow/rain/sand, but dirt road grip left something to be desired. They were not the most agressive tread, of course, but it is quiet and does ride nice.

Hope that helps!

-Joe

Cross terrain is standard on a lot of Newer Explorers

My 2004 Explorer came with the Cross terrains. They ride and sound very nice. But, little pebbles get stuck in the sipping very easily and are a pain to get out. We went camping over a month ago and I am still plucking out little annoying pebbles out of the siping. That is my only beef with them. I had the LTX M/S on my last truck and loved them. Having used both, I would go with the LTX M/S.

i had the cross terrains on when i got it... they were quiet as hell .. but the traction sucked when i used them ... guess thats why they werent meant to be played in the mudd with though... i tried... did succeed a few times but horrible in sand sunk right in.. go ahead and get an AT just incase you get in a situation they will help dramaticly... and they cant be that much louder... i went straight from those cross terrains to kumho MTs and they dont sound that much louder... ATs cant be that bad..

I have the cross-terrains as they came on my X from the factory. I really like the performance and quiet ride of them but let me tell you this, I hit 12,000 miles yesterday and well, the tread is half gone on the tires. Very poor wear due to the soft rubber. This is even with regular rotations. I'm going to get Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revos next.

Had both, cross terrains seem better for the street. Great tread life so far (25k) Ltx's were good also on my Sierra p/u. Only thing I would say is get the LT rating as the 'P' has squishy sidewalls and makes the ride wallow.

I had LTX ATs on my Jimmy (in fact, it was the only tire type I bought for that truck while I owned it) and I had absolutely no problems with them. Loved them for Michigan winters.

I have been running LTX-M/S for years on my '92. They are good for 50-60,000 miles, depending on how you drive. If you're going in the mud, LTX-A/T is better, but Michelin told me that the LTX-M/S is better on wet pavement. Look at the tread: The M/S has a lot more siping than the typical A/T tread. A tire dealer told me that the LTX-M/S is better in snow than the Cross Terrain. Another dealer told me that LTX-M/S is what the snow plowing contractors use. Even so, its not perfect in snow, but an A/T tread, though better in deep snow, would be worse on wet or dry pavement.

Every tire design is a compromise. If you go off road or in the mud LTX-A/T is best. Otherwise, I'd go with the LTX-M/S. I would only go for the Cross Terrain if soft and quiet street ride is the priority. That is what the Cross Terrains were designed for: the consumer who wants a car-like ride in a truck.

Back