LTX A/T's or LTX M/S's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LTX A/T's or LTX M/S's

I have been holding out for Michelin LTX A/T's to replace my Firestone tires. I have found knowone with them in stock nor are they willing to order them. The last response I got was that Michelin does not have a production date for more A/T's. I have instead found Michelin LTX M/S's available and could have them on by Saturday. My question, should I continue to hold out for the A/T's or opt for the tires that are available the M/S's?

Keep in mind that my Firestones have approx. 11,000 miles on them, the truck is stored in the garage, and the pressure has never been under 28psi (most of the time they are at 30psi).

What should I do, will the M/S's perform for some off-road vertures (nothing major) or should I wait and find out later that they do not make them any more and the Cross Terrains have replaced them? I see that tirerack rates the A/T's slightly better for snow.

Thanks.

Oh one other thing, I have an opportunity to get a load of firewood this weekend and am concerned that the Firestones will perform as well as the last time I hauled a load of wood last summer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try Sears - Michelin XCX APT tires - they are the LTX A/T rebadged for Sears. If not, the M/S tires are great on road - rain/snow. I've done some light offroading with my Sears knockoffs and haven't had any problem.

Thanks for the info.

Are the LTX A/T's noisier than the LTX M/S's on the highway?

I have the LTX M/S on my mounty, a friend of mine has the LTX AT on his Z71.. I know its not a very good comparison, but I find that both vehicles ride exceptionally with michelin tires.. IMO, if you aren't going to do any trail riding or anything like that, get the M/S, if you are, get the AT, both of them are really great tires, but the M/S isn't going to save you on a trail for beans

I have the ATs on my '97 4x4 Sport and don't feel they are any louder than my Wilderness ATs were. I don't hear any road noise at all unless the road has a certain texture that is like glued down gravel. The wind noise with my windows down drowns out any tire noise. With the windows up, all I hear is a slight rumble from my Borla, nothing from the tires.

Thanks.

I ended up ordering the LTX A/T's standard load not the extended load (XL). Come to find out the lack of availability was for the XL's in both the A/T's and the M/S's. I did find black letter XL M/S's, but I prefer the white letters and the A/T tread.

I think you'll be very happy with them. I have always been impressed with Michelins. I know mine are a lot quieter that the Crapstones that were on it.

Got my check!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got the Michelin LTX A/T's installed at America's Tire/Discount Tires retailer on 7/28/01 and dropped the 5 Firestones off at Ford the same day (yes that's a Saturday). They told me at Ford it was taking about 8 weeks to get a check. Well, I received my check for $550 in the mail yesterday. A week and a half is outstanding. This means my tire replacement problem is finally over. Thank God.

Hey,

friend of mine just bought a 94' EB 4X4. it came with the michelin MS tires on it. we took it offroad the first day he got it. got a flat tire that very day. it developed a bubble in the side for some reason. not sure why, we were only playin' in the mud. but good news is that when we changed his tire, the spair was a firestone atx. it's a recall tire. so he's getting a new michelin for that plus he's getting another new one for the one that went bad. so two new michelins. then he's going to trade all five in on some BFG muds. :)

i was really suprised the michelin sidewalls weren't stronger than that. maybe that's why they ride so nice.

later,
bigmac

So, how do you like your AT's Jim F????

check out michelins crossterrain SUV tires, these are premium tires, they are VERY nice

Originally posted by bigmackloud

i was really suprised the michelin sidewalls weren't stronger than that. maybe that's why they ride so nice.

later,
bigmac

i was surprised to hear that... all the michelins i have ever worked with never had the bubble problem....

some tires though develope stress bubbles. this means that someone hit a curb and weakened the innersidewall structure or otherwise cuased some brutal force to it.... with all the michelins i have ever worked with...(thousands probably) i have never seen the bubble on michelins....i guess there is a first for everything though

Well the choices that I had were the M/S, A/T, and the Cross Terrain. I was pretty much convinced that Michelins were the tire of chice for my replacement. I did not like the tread pattern on the M/S and the Cross Terrains did not have any grooves out from under the tread for water to escape (possible hydroplane concern). The price of the three went up as listed. At Americas Tire (aka Discount Tires) the M/S's was $99 the A/T's were $105 and the Cross Terrain's were $135. These prices were for the tire only. Approx $89 for the rest of the stuff (mounting, balance, stems) for 5 tires. For about $14 per tire I bought lifetime repair/replace certificates. They cover anything that happens for the treadlife of the tire (punctures in the tread or sidewall). This includes both on and off-road use. If the tire is not repairable and there is legal tread depth left, they replace the tire and the only thing that will cost me is the purchase of the new certificate for the new tire. No prorating.

Ok, back to the original question, "How do I like my A/T's?" Let me put it this way, the ride when you are on uneven rougher pavement at 32psi is smoother than the Firestones at 30psi. The cornering is flatter. Since I have 32psi in them, the drivability seems better. Easier to accelerate (less pedal), it also appears to be less roll resistance (probably the 32psi). There doesn't seem to be any more road noise than the Firestones. On certain roads there is a small rushing air sound when the drivers window is down, but I think it was there with the Firestones. At first the tires had a sticky/squishy sound to them when rolling slowly, but I contributed that to the extra rubber scrap around the sipes. I have about 300 miles on them and the extra rubber is gone and so is the squishy noise. At 32psi the tread is wearing nicely across the whole tread surface. I pulled a trailer loaded with firewood and had firewood in the back with the rear seat down. The tires at 32psi showed no sign there was an extra load on them. I pulled this load out of a soft dirt inclined driveway and didn't have a single bit of wheel slip. Coming down the mountains slowly widing road, I had complete control at all times. One other thing I thought I'd mention. Michelins website says the A/T's have an extra reinforcing wire in the bead to increase strength for offroad.

All things considered, I am very happy to have my Michelin A/T's on and Firestones off and $550 in the bank waiting for the credit card bill for $762. So far they have been great tires and that smell of new rubber in the garage is heavenly (well sort of).

One of the other reasons I didn't consider the Cross Terrain's was the fact that the tire sidewall says SUV on it. I don't and never will classify my Explorer as an SUV, it's a truck on a truck chassis.

Hey,

yea, i was kinda suprised too. it was an oval bubble that went vertical. not really like to rubbed something. who knows, maybe just a bad tire. he's getting a new one for free so it's working to his advantage.

later,
bigmac

in May i got a set of BFG AT KO's and well after one trip off road i got bubbles in the sidewalls of all but one tire, i'd seriously like to know what causes it b/c its crazy lookin but it really doesnt bother me....peace chris

Hey guys,
in response to the Cross terrain's hydroplaning resistance, I'd say these tires are excellent. My old BFG Long Trails were horrable in the rain. The ABS would come on at every stoplight if I had to stop with any force whatsoever. The Michelins are EXCELLENT and I have never had the ABS become active yet. The tires are so much smoother and quieter then the firestone and BFG, I am very happy and may replace with same tire down the road.

Back