new to explorers need help

ottis

Reaction score
City, State
Boone, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer
HI there,

I just purchased a 93 explorer 4X4 2 door this week and have a few questions.

there has been clunking sounds from the front end when i step on the brakes and go over bumps. I know the front shocks are bad which im going to change this weekend. I was wondering if it could be the front radius arm bushings?? also i am changing the brake pads when i change the shocks.

If so how long can you go with it like that?? Its really cold here in Iowa right now and i dont have a heated garage. from reading you have to take the shock/spring off to take radius arm off. So it sounds like a long big hastle and i dont feel like freezing all day??

Welcome to the forum!

It is most likely radius arm bushings. Very common issue with the Gen 1 Explorers.

They can be removed two ways. One is by completely dropping the TTB (which isn't as bad as it sounds) and the other is by drilling out the rivets that hold the radius arms to the TTB and Then replacing them with grade 8 bolts when re-installing.

Don't let it go too long. If they wear too far, it wears out the cross member where the bushings are, and then that has to be replaced as well.

i found that the bushing is completly gone, but i have to wait for the funds to replace them and probably call around to see how much a shop charges since its cold here in iowa.

On a side note i replaced my shocks yesterday and that seems to of helped a little with the clunk.

Welcome to the Explorer world. I just did the bushings on one of my 2 doors.

They are not too bad to replace if you want to do it yourself, but working in the cold does suck. I froze to the ground once putting a trans in my cousin's truck in a snow covered driveway-- :rolleyes: never again...

If you tackle this yourself, try useing a grinder with a cutoff wheel to cut the heads off the rivets. The top one is hard to get to but it can be done with the proper sized cutoff wheel. Once that is done you can remove the four bolts in the center of the crossmember and work each member half off it's frame rail. A BFH helps this greatly. Then reassemble using the affore mentioned (JDraper) grade 8 bolts and a little blue Loctite.

If you have access to a torch its even easier, but be careful the fuel lines are on the inside of the driver's frame rail. Fire and fuel do great things for you inside the engine, but not so much anywhere else.

Good luck and enjoy your Ex, they are great vehicles

Back