• Register Today It's free!

New to forum, have some questions

rubiman09

Reaction score
City, State
Downriver Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
New to forum, wanting to say hi. I recently acquired a 2002 Sport Trac that my mom had since new. I like the vehicle so far & decided on keeping it, my future outlook is making it into a DD/weekend trail warrior. Just clicked 113,000. The 4x4 isn't working, has EGR codes, needs shocks (time for a lift kit :) ), has some torque converter shudder & hearing noise coming from the valve train. I searched and came up with the timing chain/tensioner TSB. Can somebody point me to a thread about the total job procedure. Also wondering what the total cost was from people that have done this before?

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you getting the truck up to speed.

4x4 not working, disconnect/reconnect several times the 4x4 module behind the right kick panel. EGR codes, post the P numbers and we'll go from there. Torque converter shudder? You KNOW torque converter shudder? Common on 4R70W's but never heard of it in 5R55E's. Motorcraft "Limited Slip Additive" fixes it in the 4R70W's.Shocks, I'll leave to those with a lift. Timing chains, grab a manual off of eBay. You'll need it!

Thanks for the help, I'll try disconnecting the module after work. I don't remember the exact EGR code, but I hooked up my hand vacuum pump & if I apply vacuum to the EGR valve itself the engine wants to stall. Trying to remember my schooling I'm pretty sure that means the EGR is functioning properly? Yes I know it's the torque converter, I leave constant pressure on throttle while it's shuddering then press the break, the torque converter unlocks & stops the shudder. The trans fluid is a lil' burnt so a rebuild is definitely in my future. I'm still figuring out the total price on a trans rebuild & the motor work. Debating on swapping in a 5.0.

Back