New to Forum & Steering Wheel Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to Forum & Steering Wheel Question

amyrvik

Reaction score
City, State
Collierville TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
Hi y'all. I am fairly new to this forum although I have been lurking around for some good info on maintaining my truck and Focus. I really appreciate this site it is very good.

I have a 2002 Explorer Sport Track and the steering wheel leather is kind of undoing itself on the frame of the wheel. This is primarily happening with the top half of the steering wheel where the leather wrap is wrinkled and the adhesive has failed to keep it secured. I was wondering if there might be others with this problem and if there is a better solution to it than buy a cover from WalMart to put over the existing one. This was the solution given by the service manager at the Ford dealer.

One more question, well three more. Does this truck have the fill-from-the-bottom setup with the 5-speed automatic transmission when one changes the filter and fluid? Does the fuid have to be pumped into the trans pan or can it flow in by gravity? Do I need to measure how much I drain out and replace that same amount?

Thanks very much for your help.

Alan

Same thing happened to the steering wheel on a Cadillac my mother used to have. Dad took it to an upholstery shop and they sewed a new leather cover on. It didn't cost a lot.

I don't know about the '02 Tracs, my old '05 had a dipstick for the transmission. My '08 does not have one and you have to fill it from the bottom with the fitting.

Back