• Register Today It's free!

new to me 2007 V8 4X4 Limited

Dave Head

Reaction score
City, State
Oviedo, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport 401a
I picked up a nice hi mileage Orange Frost Sport Trac this week off ebay, every option I wanted except adjustable pedals and the power rear window. What was interesting was that along with the 6 CD/Satellite/AM/FM with sub woofer was that there WAS an actual line in socket along side the power plug at the front of the console. Everything I read said this was not done in 2007, and that to enable the line in, you would lose satellite). In my downloaded 07 Brochure Orange Frost isn't even a listed color. This was a one owner with 165K and included the original window sticker.
I had looked at ripping out the double DIN and spending major bucks to be able to incorporate Satellite, bluetooth, and streaming (new Alpine apple play wireless with all the relevant adaptors, plug ins, etc). Now instead I can just spend $22.00 for an ANKER bluetooth adaptor and eventually replace the speakers with some infinity reference models.

Next steps are to do basic maintenance - I'm smelling antifreeze, so I don't like that. Then since this will be towed behind the motor home I have to build my own neutral tow kit (V8 uses neutral switch AND LED) and get it to a dealer or shop that can turn that functionality on. Then base plate, wiring, etc...
I don't see this site has a drag and drop feature and I don't use a picture site like flicker, etc. Otherwise I would post a pic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome. I saw that truck on ebay and thought to myself, I don't remember orange being offered in 07. GTcarlot is an excellent reference site and they don't list Orange Frost either, but DrColorChip does list it. So strange. On the sticker inside the drivers door, what is the build date? From what I understand, there were late productions 07's (but they didn't call them 2007.5) that had changes in the lineup offerings, including an optional sliding rear window or your line-in plug.

The Ford Neutral Tow kit is discontinued but still out there - part number is 1L2Z-7H332-AB. See ebay item# 331864536228 for example ($300)

I did notice there is some evidence of paint work - not sure if you are aware or not. On this picture taken from the listing, I've circled a little overspray - one area on the rubber trim at the trailing edge, below rear door, and the other area is just inside the wheel well. Cab is prone to rust in these corners if the center mount stop light on the roof develops a leak. I've been there/done that myself.

OFST_zpspz86xums.jpg

I hope the antifreeze is a leaking radiator - fairly common and easy to replace.

Anyway, welcome and enjoy.

Definitely the original color:
07ST.JPG

Radiator failure is common. Also our radiators are 20lb systems. A cheap one will fail quickly at that pressure. Most other cars run 14lbs. if im not mistaken.

That ebay # points to a trailer hitch. I did a carfax and although a 1 owner, it did have a single vehicle accident 11/07 and was actually reported stolen on Apr 2 2008. I took it to my mechanic and it appears the fan clutch came apart and took out the radiator. Dealer swears they didn't know or would have fixed. It is what it is... I like the car and it runs very well. According to Carfax build date was 8/24/06. Only annoyable interior part is the plastic cover on the doors where the finish wears off. Gotta sand it down or something!
I saw one other Orange Frost limited model down here in FL when I first started searching. It said it was some special edition. I will check the 3rd brake light - one of the bulbs is out and I'm going to order LEDs for all the outside and inside lighting,

The tech specs doc at the Hiller Ford site is phenomenal - and it shows that Orange Frost and Carbon were added mid year, along with the power rear window, rear DVD entertainment, Reverse Sensing, heated mirrors added to the heated windshield and the limited chrome package. I never thought that 8/2006 would be considered 'mid year', but that model year appears to have started around April...

The tech specs doc at the Hiller Ford site is phenomenal - and it shows that Orange Frost and Carbon were added mid year, along with the power rear window, rear DVD entertainment, Reverse Sensing, heated mirrors added to the heated windshield and the limited chrome package. I never thought that 8/2006 would be considered 'mid year', but that model year appears to have started around April...
I guess due to the lack of an 06 Sport Trac, the 07 had a longer run. The Hiller Ford site is great for reference material!

Welcome. I saw that truck on ebay and thought to myself, I don't remember orange being offered in 07. GTcarlot is an excellent reference site and they don't list Orange Frost either, but DrColorChip does list it. So strange. On the sticker inside the drivers door, what is the build date? From what I understand, there were late productions 07's (but they didn't call them 2007.5) that had changes in the lineup offerings, including an optional sliding rear window or your line-in plug.

The Ford Neutral Tow kit is discontinued but still out there - part number is 1L2Z-7H332-AB. See ebay item# 331864536228 for example ($300)

I did notice there is some evidence of paint work - not sure if you are aware or not. On this picture taken from the listing, I've circled a little overspray - one area on the rubber trim at the trailing edge, below rear door, and the other area is just inside the wheel well. Cab is prone to rust in these corners if the center mount stop light on the roof develops a leak. I've been there/done that myself.

Anyway, welcome and enjoy.

Let me apologize about being dismissive with respect to the neutral tow kit - I called Gaugin Auto parts today (Las Vegas Ford dealer) and spoke with them - according to them, Ford direct orders the kit and doesn't carry it in warehouses. I was told that the manufacturer had gone out of business and Ford decided they would no longer carry the part. Gaugin ws selling it on ebay for 295.00, but I ordered it on their own website for 231.00. It is a high price, but it includes stickers with legal disclaimers that could be important, and the correct neutral tow switch and connectors make it plug and play. I'm a former electrician and decent mechanic and could have built a kit but it wouldn't have been as good - especially with the switch.

I'm not adverse to customizing - I plan on moving the line in jack and adding a switched power outlet to the dash to minimize the wire run for my Anker bluetooth system, for example. I'm also doing an LED bulp upgrade and eventually custom HID projector headlights.

There is definitely overspray, but worse I have to find a good body shop to replace the rocker panels which are rusted through. This 11 year Ohio car will stay retired to Florida and no more salted roads.

Check all the hose connections and the base of the trans cooler ports on the radiator. Mine ended up with a pinhole leak at the drivers side trans line connection. If you have any type of OBD scanner monitor your temps. if you are leaking or losing pressure in the system you will expect higher temps (above 210 of a hot day).. I saw 217 at one point in the mountains.

Replaced with the Spectre radiator and been good ever since. Runs nice and cool now.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025P29KM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BTW, It can be done without removing the clutch fan, a little bit of fancy maneuvers and it pops right in. The rad that the dealer installed was all kinds of screwed up with smashed fins. Careless, fast in/out work that only you can prevent by a good old DIY.

Back