New to the 2wd scene (with an Ex that is) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to the 2wd scene (with an Ex that is)

Twisted1

Reaction score
City, State
Lee, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 2wd SOHC 5 speed
I'm not new to the Explorer, Ranger, B2 by any means as I've owned over 20 different variations over the years and currently own 2 Ex's one B2 and a Ranger with a plow. I've swapped everything around in all and I know whats interchangable on the 4x4's but I'm not 100% sure on the 2wd's. Everything appears to be the same but since this is my first I wanted to double check before ordering the wrong parts. My issue is that I called DJM suspension directly because none of my other suppliers (I own a custom shop) listed any lowering suspension at all or even urethane bushings for that matter for the 2wd Ex. I have never in my life been so insulted by a sales rep for a company and litterally got no where with them. I explained that I hadn't been able to find a listing for the 3" dream beams for my truck and simply asked if the Ranger beams crossed over, figured it was a simple enough question. The sales rep started laying into me like you wouldn't believe stating that no reputable shop in the world would ever touch an Explorer, the suspensions are completely different between the ranger and Ex ect. He actually said "The Explorer is the most unsafe poorly designed vehicle ever in the history of the US!" (Those were his exact words) and proceeded to tell me every one of them is a death trap waiting to roll over and actually got to the point of yelling at me for being so stupid as to own one.:thumbsup: So like I said I got no where trying to deal direct and the Ford parts dept. didn't exactly give me a clear answer when I asked either. So I know someone here must know if the beams are in fact interchangable because unfortunately I've had no luck else where with this question. Thanks

Wow that is shocking! I would have went to management over that one. I sell tons and tons of DJM parts and they are great products I can't believe they said that about the X. Thats just the dumbest thing I have ever heard. He obviously has no idea what hes talking about. But to answer your question, the ranger b2 and explorer beams are all different. The explorers beams are about 1.5" wider than the rangers beams and thats pretty much the only differance in the beams. If that guy knew anything he would know that the roll over issues were on newer explorers and were issues with the tires!

I did get your pm and will work on emailing you back tomorrow when I have more time.

Thanks for the response, I was almost ready to place an order for the Ranger beams

Back