New to the forum, just bought a 2003 Explorer Sport 2dr and I have questions! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to the forum, just bought a 2003 Explorer Sport 2dr and I have questions!

Reaction score
City, State
Flagler Beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport XLT
Just bought a 2003 Explorer Sport 2dr, and finding that not much is out there on this specific model. The truck only has 107K original miles on it and is in good shape. I've researched online, and it appears that this model is combination of standard explorer and a sport trac. Some of the fuse/wiring information is very confusing. When I got the truck the parking lights and dash lights did not work, along with the ABS light on. Found a missing fuse in rubber 2 fuse block missing and that fixed all of that. Rear window wiper is not working and cannot find anything regarding that on a sport model. Hoping to get some help from the forum guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Sport just refers to it being a 2 door, not really anything to do with the Sport Trac. Your truck is very similar to the 2001 2 Door Explorers. (It’s much more 2nd generation, than 3rd generation)

The Sport just refers to it being a 2 door, not really anything to do with the Sport Trac. Your truck is very similar to the 2001 2 Door Explorers. (It’s much more 2nd generation, than 3rd generation)
Well from what I found out trying to figure out why the parking lights and dash lights weren't working, the fuse box system is not like the 4 door explorer. It's like the one shown for the sport trac. Doesn't the 2003 4dr explorer have independent rear suspension? Mine has an 8.8 solid rear in it.

Welcome to this forum! Did you see if the motor has power? If so then the motor might be burned out or there's a problem with the connector. Did you check the switch?
There is no power going to plug. I'm going to hot wire the motor and see if it works. All my fuses seem to be ok, is there a rear wiper relay I may be missing?

Well from what I found out trying to figure out why the parking lights and dash lights weren't working, the fuse box system is not like the 4 door explorer. It's like the one shown for the sport trac. Doesn't the 2003 4dr explorer have independent rear suspension? Mine has an 8.8 solid rear in it.
Yes. That’s why I said it’s more like a late second generation 98-2001 than a third generation 2002+.

The Sport just refers to it being a 2 door, not really anything to do with the Sport Trac.
The second part of that statement is not totally accurate. The Sport is covered in the Sport Trac factory repair manual. Obviously there are differences, including in the wiring. Wiring to the rear of the Sport is probably the same as, or very similar to, the 2001 4 door, and nothing like a 2003 4 door.

Yes. That’s why I said it’s more like a late second generation 98-2001 than a third generation 2002+.
I'm learning, new to the Explorer models. Although I did buy a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 for the drive line. It worked out well in my 63 Ford Falcon Futura. Changed to aluminum intake Holley 650, the 4r70w, and narrowed the 8.8 posi to fit. Wish I had kept more parts from it.

That’s because the sport tracs are second gens platforms as well. His Explorer would be closest to the 2001 2 Door Explorer, and not so much the 4 doors.
The second part of that statement is not totally accurate. The Sport is covered in the Sport Trac factory repair manual. Obviously there are differences, including in the wiring. Wiring to the rear of the Sport is probably the same as, or very similar to, the 2001 4 door, and nothing like a 2003 4 door.

That’s because the sport tracs are second gens platforms as well. His Explorer would be closest to the 2001 2 Door Explorer, and not so much the 4 doors.
Thanks for all your help and info guys, it's clearing up some confusion for me.

Back