New to the site with an oil question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to the site with an oil question

tx_rooney

Reaction score
City, State
Southern Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS 4X4; 1998 Ranger
Hello everybody, I've lurked around here for years. I'm about to buy my first Explorer and have a question; I couldn't find an answer searching. Is it true that if you start using synthetic oil in an engine that has always used petroleum based product that the synthetic will clean the sludge and leaks could develop? Any firsthand experience?

I have two 98 Fords; a Ranger with 195,000 mi and a full-size van with 150,000 miles and have always used Mobil1; changing about 8,000 miles or so. We're buying a 2000 XLS 4x4 Explorer with 4.0 SOHC and 120,000 mi next week and we believe it has always used regular non-synthetic oil. The previous owner is deceased so we can't quiz him.

Any replies are greatly appreciated - thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMO with so many miles on the clock I would keep using regular oil. You can try and go with semi-synthetic. I have not been able to confirm myself if switching to full synthetic will cause engine to develop leaks... I did switch to semi and so far it's been great.

I switched at 140,000, no leaks.

I guess it all depends on how well the vehicle was maintained prior to the switch.

Welcome to Explorer Forum! I have heard this tall tale, but never tried it. I want to convert my low mileage mustang over. It's due for an oil change, so I think I just might!

this gives me a reason to switch as well...

perhaps install a remote oil filter as well at the same time.

See, I have no idea how my 02 was treated so far - it has 176K on the clock but it looks all like new under the hood and rides just like new - I have no clue here. Like I said - I switched to semi synthetic in my Subaru and have had no leaks and didn't have to add any oil in between... guess I switch to full synthetic with the next oil change.

welcome

What makes you think there is sludge in the engine. Just because regular Dino is used does not mean you have any buildup. If you change your oil regularly and optimal intervals you will have a clean engine. "synthetic" will not do any harm. If you have sludge plugs keeping oil from leaking you already have a problem.
Go with a good synthetic. You can get the real deal like Amsoil or Royal Purple or go with Pennzoil Platinum ( $20 for 5 quarts in Walmart). If you want extended oil change intervals synthetic is the way to go.

Semi synthetic or synthetic blends are a waste of money imo. To use the word "synthetic" in a product does not mean it has to have a certain amount of synthetic additives in it. There is no law on how much must be used to say "synthetic". SO you don't know what your paying for. For that use a regular Dino and change if frequently. You will have the same success as synthetic oil.

A good syn though will be great for you imo. It is great for towing and harsh running conditions where the shearing resilience of it will keep the oil doing its job. If your going syns do the whole truck. It will take advantage of the oil and may give you some hp or mpg gains. Don't expect 5mpg more, but maybe 1 or so. I would be happy with .5mpg gain in my rig...lol

Thanks for all the replies. My other PC died so I've been busy...

Back