• Register Today It's free!

new truck need help!

kornfed

Reaction score
City, State
Fremont, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 4.0 v6
Ok i bought a 1993 ford explorer from my uncle cheap. I know very little bout fords and need help! i want to turn it into a basic rig nothing too special and i need suggestions. the most important of which is the transmission i think it has a bad seal but was thinking bout jus replacing it all together. its a 4.0l v6 auto thats as much as i know any help would be greatly appreciated!!:exp: Thanx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would start with a 5 speed swap. Search for "M5OD conversion"

Kornfed what is your level of techical expertise? Some mods are intensive (as in a tranny swap).

Ive done a tranny swap on a five speed coupe before but never converted from an auto to a five speed especially on a truck if i can find a good trans thats cheap and easy to install i have a mechanic in mind to do it

well on the tranny there are a few good write ups in the tranny section. it would be good for you to have some idea of what you are looking to do. these guys are really modifying their rigs. not just putting some bigger tires on. what do you want to do with this? mall crawler? daily driver? off road?
do you want to improve traction (lockers, SAS, tranny, gears)
how bout motor (horse power, sohc swaps)
maybe articulation ( lifts, links, coils)
surf this site for a while you will see what people are doing. lastly what is your budget? i am working on a next to none budget but i bought a donor X for $250 not bad for a manual tranny, and spare front and rear.

I actually was thinking bout a donor vehicle for spare parts that way i dont have to call the junk yard ten thousand times n would jus have useful parts at my finger tips honestly this is going to be more of a learning project than anything ive always wanted to get into 4wheeling n now i hav the time and some money to do it id like to gear a rig for off roading and all though it sounds like fun to get as vertical as possible i live in nebraska so mud holes and corn fields is were ill spend most my time! really interested in the fabricating aspect too! finding new and cool things to do that you cant get at the dealership but i hav to keep it in a certain realm of practicality as well bc as of right now at least it is my daily driver! after fixing the tranny which ill have the money to do shortly i got some tips for a minor lift with coil seats and shackles to get the ball rolling but after that who knows were it will take me! one thing i can tell you for sure though is that im not afraid of the challenge to build something really cool and if i mess up i paid under a thousand for it so i wont be heart broken and ill jus chalk it up to gaining experience so i can do a better job next time!

Back