New/Used Ford Explorer Purchase, which option? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New/Used Ford Explorer Purchase, which option?

So looking now at some base ST and I have couple of questions.

1. Does the ST come with ventilated seats? Or do I need package 401A?
2. When looking at a 400A window sticker vs one with 401A, the seats say Ebony with Miko inserts. THe 401A says Ebony leather. What's the deal here? I thought all ST came with Ebony leather.

Update: Just looked it up and these 400A are Enthusiast ST (entry level). Wife really likes ventilated seats.
You'll need the tech package to get the ventilated seats which will also come with the ipad dashboard. I believe that package is only available on the 401.

Moonroofs are always an individual choice. I wouldn't have a vehicle without one. It really seems to 'open' up the interior with light. I also find it nice to have when the temperature doesn't actually require A/C and you can fully open it up. On all the vehicles I've had with one, the shade has never been closed.

Peter
Agreed. I usually leave the windows slightly down and open the roof, feels great. Hardly need to use the A/C as well. At night, the kids love to have the whole thing open to see the stars or lights. Pretty nice sight for them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks everyone for their current input. So, it seems that I am now back on the used train. But a couple of questions again that can help me wrap my brain around some things with your input. I am looking nationally now and just considering shipping it back as pricing is much better than in SoCal.

If assuming 2020 Ford Explorer ST:
1. with or without the technology package? The seat massagers are nice, but I have heard people are torn on the screen. Especially when put in reverse, it only uses the top half of the screen making it look smaller. Should I try to stick to no technology package and just save the money?
2. Ride difference between the standard 20" Machined aluminum and 21" black racing wheel?
3. Any problems with the Red Tint color? Or is it just personal preference here? I have had black cars and they sure do get dirty quickly.

Since you're going used, I highly doubt the pricing between the tech package and non tech will be a significant difference, maybe a couple of dollars more/less.

I was wrong about the packages, the ventilated seats are available on the 401 without the tech package.

Far as the iPad, it grows on you after driving it. I still wish it was landscape or had the reverse camera bigger but its not a break it deal. It'll really come down if you really want the massaging seats and the extra 2 speakers on the front which have nice grills but dont know if they make a big difference.

Since you're going used, I highly doubt the pricing between the tech package and non tech will be a significant difference, maybe a couple of dollars more/less.

I was wrong about the packages, the ventilated seats are available on the 401 without the tech package.

Far as the iPad, it grows on you after driving it. I still wish it was landscape or had the reverse camera bigger but its not a break it deal. It'll really come down if you really want the massaging seats and the extra 2 speakers on the front which have nice grills but dont know if they make a big difference.
Like you said, the difference in price of with or without tech package are minimal. I guess I will just see what's available and if it comes with it, then it comes with it.

My Explorer has a sunroof/moonroof/big hole in the roof. I like 'em, but the possibility of leaks concerns me. Here in the south, leaving the shade open turns the cabin into an oven very quickly. I open it mostly to bleed off heat. I hope to open it more as our 30 hours of fall happens.

Personal preference obviously, but I would not purchase a moon roof on a vehicle if I could get it without one. I just assume it will leak or break. That has happened to me on two previous vehicles. I have an Audi where it came standard and couldn't be deleted. I just don't bother to open it.

My ST has been flawless other than someone deciding they had to use the freeway lane my wife was already in. That said, I agree with Mbrooks and I would not buy a low mileage used Explorer. They have just had too many problems and I would figure that any low mileage unit was just dumped by the previous owner due to issues they have had with it.

I want to say thanks again for all the help. One last question for you all.

If buying used, is it better for
….Ford Gold certified?
…uncertified and buying extended warranty (premium care)?

Last edited:

Ford Extended Warranty - Geniune Ford ESP Sales

Cheapest rates and all the options you need.

Or Contact @blwnsmoke I think he still has a contact to getting you 24 months, 0% financing
Yes, already contacted him for rates.

Would you still recommend this even for a CPO vehicle? Seems like gold certified just gets me an extra year of full warranty and extra year of powertrain (we don't drive that much).

Looks like the PREMIUMCare covers a lot more parts and gives a bit more piece of mind.

If you are buying, do a careful comparison between the 2 warranties. I've always bought the PremiumCare warranty for mine in the past. The Aviator has a 4 year warranty so I didn't need one this time. FYI, I lease my vehicles.

Peter

Yes, already contacted him for rates.

Would you still recommend this even for a CPO vehicle? Seems like gold certified just gets me an extra year of full warranty and extra year of powertrain (we don't drive that much).

Looks like the PREMIUMCare covers a lot more parts and gives a bit more piece of mind.
I believe CPO is just one year warranty for 12k miles for Ford. I would just go for Premium car with first day rental. These newer cars fully rely on electronics nowadays, I believe only the Premium car warranties the PCM which is a pretty huge deal.

I believe CPO is just one year warranty for 12k miles for Ford. I would just go for Premium car with first day rental. These newer cars fully rely on electronics nowadays, I believe only the Premium car warranties the PCM which is a pretty huge deal.
If you don’t drive much, I’d REALLY consider a lease. Have you even looked into the threads here with the electrical nightmares causing a considerable amount of buybacks?

Almost positive these are the very least reliable when new Explorers to ever hit the market.

These aren’t the kind of vehicle you want to buy used/keep for a long ass time. This is the kind of vehicle you get in and out of before it’s a nightmare.

If you don’t drive much, I’d REALLY consider a lease. Have you even looked into the threads here with the electrical nightmares causing a considerable amount of buybacks?

Almost positive these are the very least reliable when new Explorers to ever hit the market.

These aren’t the kind of vehicle you want to buy used/keep for a long ass time. This is the kind of vehicle you get in and out of before it’s a nightmare.
To be fair, I would say all new vehicles are practically like this now. Electrical issues are a very common thing with new cars. My last new buy car was an 09 BMW 335i, that car made me realize leasing would be the way to go from here on forward, literally almost everything on it was electrical and that was over 10 years ago.

Only a matter of time till the rest of MFG's made it standard and low and behold, here we are now.

If you don’t drive much, I’d REALLY consider a lease.
I have leased one car in my life. 2017 VW egolf. It was dirt cheap, bought it out and then sold it for more than my buy out. Cost me like $50/month over 30 months. I probably made money once you take into the CVRP in california.

It would seem based on my habits that I should lease cars, but I have purchased 5 cars in the last 10 years and have sold them at a good price (now that we have carvana, vroom, shift, etc.). My out of pocket monthly is less than $500/month (based on the purchase price including taxes and fees, minus the selling price) considering I am purchasing $40k-$50k cars. It's kind of like a lease, but I am just buying and selling.

I have found what I feel are a couple of good ones that have late 19, early 20 manufacturing dates and owners who have had them for 2 years or 20k miles. It's now whether or not we get a color (Red), that we are both not too excited about, but the price is right, or spend $2k more and buy local and get a color we like (Metallic Grey).

So, here's the story. We used to have a 2016 Ford Explorer sport. My wife drove it and loved it. She is a Ford fan. Now with the used car market the way it is, I decided to sell it and get almost what I paid for it, but I ended up buying a 2021.5 VW Atlas 2.0T SEL Premium. It has everything the Ford had plus new options. Well, my wife doesn't like it, so 5 months later (Today), I am in the process of finding her a new Ford Explorer. Here are my options that I was able to find.

1. New 2021 Ford Explorer Limited Hybrid - Courtesy Vehicle - 2500mi - MSRP $55705 - Selling Price - $50735 - They sell it as new, so I get the rebate plus they have $$ off for being a courtesy vehicle

2. Used 2020 Ford Explorer ST - 32500mi - MSRP $59520 - Selling price - $50939

They are basically the same selling price but you can see one is new and the other has over 30k miles. I would probably buy the extended warranty from Joel for either purchase. We only drive 8k miles a year.

Just reaching out to everyone to see what their thoughts are, since you all are the best about things like this. TIA.
My god!!!$50000 for a used truck

So, here's the story. We used to have a 2016 Ford Explorer sport. My wife drove it and loved it. She is a Ford fan. Now with the used car market the way it is, I decided to sell it and get almost what I paid for it, but I ended up buying a 2021.5 VW Atlas 2.0T SEL Premium. It has everything the Ford had plus new options. Well, my wife doesn't like it, so 5 months later (Today), I am in the process of finding her a new Ford Explorer. Here are my options that I was able to find.

1. New 2021 Ford Explorer Limited Hybrid - Courtesy Vehicle - 2500mi - MSRP $55705 - Selling Price - $50735 - They sell it as new, so I get the rebate plus they have $$ off for being a courtesy vehicle

They are basically the same selling price but you can see one is new and the other has over 30k miles. I would probably buy the extended warranty from Joel for either purchase. We only drive 8k miles a year.

Just reaching out to everyone to see what their thoughts are, since you all are the best about things like this. TIA.
These prices are crazy this past March I picked up a 2020 explorer platinum it was also a courtesy vehicle with roughly 3500 miles on it, out the door was $43500 thats with all sales tax and dealer fees ect. In fact I saw an ad where I live for ted britt in virginia 2021 platinums for $51000 sale price however that was a few weeks ago

I would definitely buy the 2021 Limited, much better deal. I am in the same situation, wanting an Explorer. I have a 2017 Escape Titanium, which I love, except it’s too small, so have been looking at Explorer options. Although not a fan of hybrids, if the 2021 Explorer Limited were available locally, I’d buy it, but pass on the ST.

They are two different vehicles, one is a Hybrid with a 2.0 and the other has a 400Hp engine. Fuel mileage is going to be completely different. The ST handles and brakes better and is great if you like to feel the road. It depends on her driving style!

"The only thing I may be missing is the hands free lift gate. Unless someone wants to talk me out of that too."

I thought it was fluff when I bought the car. I use it more than I ever thought I would, to open and close. I recommend the hands free lift gate for sure.
Now, if they would make the third row seats easy to take out and put in...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

8k miles the hybrid don't pay i understand cal prices are obscene but don't buy turbo especially the 4 cyl they are trouble. the v6 turbo was being sold to police until they had too much trouble and changed to reg v6 which is the better engine only good thing with 2020 up is they went back to rwd

Back