• Register Today It's free!

New User With Window Problems

jminty91

Reaction score
City, State
Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer
I am a new user to this forum, so I am still getting familiar with how everything works. I'm sure this question has been answered, but what do I have to do to get the window motor off on my drivers side? I have a '94 Explorer and the motor is freaking out on me.

I have the Eddie Bauer edition where the driver side goes down automatically when I press the switch. I did this the other day, out of habit, and the window went down, but the motor kept cranking for a few seconds once the window reached the bottom. The window will also get stuck when it is going up or down but the motor still cranks like it's trying to move the window but it can't.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it the motor or the actuator? Sorry for the long post.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a real pain. Ford riveted the parts in there to save time and money on the assembly line. Drilling them out sometimes works, but usually the rivet will spin before you get too far into it. I use a 3" cutoff wheel as a grinder, then use a chisel to knock what's left out.

BTW, the lift motor and regulator come as a whole assembly. It's way easier to replace the thing as a unit than it is to remove the motor and install a new one on your worn out regulator. I think the price difference between the assembly and motor only was like $10 when i did it last year.

Not all of the power window motors are riveted in. Neither of my 94s had rivets and neither did my 93, just three bolts. In every case it required drilling one hole to access the third bolt. No big deal though if you have a 1/2" bit.

Back