'94 XLT - Trouble with Power Window Motor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'94 XLT - Trouble with Power Window Motor

Chris_94

Reaction score
City, State
Arvada, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 4x4 XLT V6
1994 Explorer XLT
4-door with power windows and locks

Drivers side front window went down and won't go back up. Since it's down, I can't get my hands inside the door.

I think it's the motor, because the switch works all the other windows without problems.

Need help.
1) How can I check the motor and see if that's really the problem?
2) If it is the motor, how do I get it out with the window down? There's no space to get my hands inside the door
3) Any other words of wisdom? I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happened.

Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you push the button to roll the window up, can you hear the motor running? If so, chances are you just need to put new plugs in the gear. THESE PLUGS - LINK

You can get the window back up by removing the door panel and water barrier plastic, connect the window switch, then reach in and help the window up as you push the button to raise the window. You don't need to lift the window to remove and repair the window motor. The motor does not have a stop or anything, the stop is in the mechanism which the motor's output gear meshes with so you don't have to worry about motor position.

You could replace the motor, but honestly it is just as easy (and cheaper) to replace the failed plugs inside it. Do a forum search for rebuilding power window motors, or gear plug replacement, something like that. It's pretty easy to remove the window motors. Three bolts, two of which there are holes drilled to access, the third you may have to drill a hole if it's never been done before but the spot is marked for you.

I have already removed the door panel and the plastic water barrier.

Motor doesn't run. Had my brother come over and he listened as well. It's not running. Yes, we were pushing the switch in the proper direction when listening for the sound of the motor running.

I stuck my hand on the back of the door while my brother operated the window switch. I was lifting up on the bottom of the window as hard as I could and we can't get the window to budge.

Remove the motor, then. There is a plug that disconnects; the wire harness is usually attached to a clip so it doesn't dangle. There are three bolts for the motor. If you look at the window motor removal threads they'll detail how, but basically two bolts are accessible and the third requires drilling a hole (there is usually a guide dimple). Once the motor is removed you'll be able to lift the window.

Check with a multimeter or test light for 12V at the window motor's plug when the button is pressed. If you don't have those, you should see the voltmeter in the gauge cluster dip when you press the button (with motor connected).

Then, time for an autopsy on the motor assembly. Take off the inspection cover and check where the gear plugs go in. Perhaps a shredded plug has jammed the gears.

If you're familiar with the basic principles of an electric motor you can easily recondition the motor itself, by cleaning the commutator and adjusting brush tension.

You could replace the whole motor, for a higher cost, but I have had issues with the reconditioned motors that are sold. Often they are not much better than a junkyard pulled one.

If you look at the window motor removal threads they'll detail how, but basically two bolts are accessible and the third requires drilling a hole (there is usually a guide dimple). Once the motor is removed you'll be able to lift the window.

Thanks for the help acro777. Thanks for the amazon link too.

Where are these motor removal threads? Are they Stickied?

Check with a multimeter or test light for 12V at the window motor's plug when the button is pressed. If you don't have those, you should see the voltmeter in the gauge cluster dip when you press the button (with motor connected).
Have volt meter. Was planning to check this, but couldn't figure out how to get the motor out. Will check the plug from the switch tomorrow after work. Need to see if it's getting power from the switch first.

It sounds like the relay is clicking when I depress the switch. So that makes me think it's the motor, and not the switch, but you know what happens when we ASSume.

Then, time for an autopsy on the motor assembly. Take off the inspection cover and check where the gear plugs go in. Perhaps a shredded plug has jammed the gears.

If you're familiar with the basic principles of an electric motor you can easily recondition the motor itself, by cleaning the commutator and adjusting brush tension.

u-tube to the rescue :thumbsup:

You could replace the whole motor, for a higher cost, but I have had issues with the reconditioned motors that are sold. Often they are not much better than a junkyard pulled one.

I looked into replacement motors. They run about $25-$30. I'd rather rebuild the motor and gear assembly that I have. At least with this one, I know it's a factory Ford part. I know what I've got.

does anyone know....

i havent been able to find any threads about how to rebuild/recondition these window motors. am I looking in the right areas?
also- are the window motors the same as the motors for the electric seats, and the rear wiper?

I know how to remove and replace the window motors. that's easy. but a new set of those motors cost like $200. and I don't want to pay that kind of money if I can fix them myself.

ps: the windows that work, work verrrry slowly. does that mean its kaput, or just a dirty connection?

The motors are fairly straightforward once you have them out. Clean everything. The motor brushes can be tricky to get back in but it can be done with patience. Clean up the commutator with fine grit sandpaper - it should be shiny and hopefully the surface is flat, not bowed. Put a drop or two of light oil in the bushings, and some automotive grease on the gear surfaces. Check and clean all electrical connections. Check the motor brushes aren't worn down to nothing, clean the slides that they slide in, and check the tension on the brush springs and adjust if necessary.

Weak motors can be a result of old hardened grease in the gears, dirty commutators and corroded electrical connections.

Back