New Valoline Full Synthetic High Milage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Valoline Full Synthetic High Milage

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
I've recently been seeing commercials for Valvoline Full Syn High Mileage oil, which claims to have 40% more wear protection than Mobil 1. I've been using Mobil 1 for years, but I think I may switch to the Valvoline in an effort to get the most out of my engines. If this was some new company hawking their product I wouldn't consider doing this, but I've used Valvoline for many years and trust the company.

I'm not interested in hearing/discussing opinions on other oils, just giving my thoughts on this Valvoline product.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use Valvoline , at Walmart there 13$ for a jug, should be good been around for ever

They say synthetic oils are better for the engines but make the gaskets more prone to leaks and failures. I've been contemplating switching to Valvoline for both my cars.. currently I'm running synthetic in the olds and conventional in the Mounty.. tho I'm wondering if it should be the other way around ..

Koda, you use 10w-20 Synthetic for your trucks?

iv been using the Valvoline high millage syn blend 10w-30, in my opinion its great stuff

They say synthetic oils are better for the engines but make the gaskets more prone to leaks and failures. I've been contemplating switching to Valvoline for both my cars.. currently I'm running synthetic in the olds and conventional in the Mounty.. tho I'm wondering if it should be the other way around ..

Koda, you use 10w-20 Synthetic for your trucks?

I live in the south, and most of my trucks have around 200K on them, so I chose to use 10w30. If I still lived in the N.E. I'd use 5w30, maybe 5w20 in the winter.

BTW, I don't find they leak any more (or less) on the synthetic. 1/2 leak a bit at the rear seal and 1/2 don't leak a drop. I've been using Mobil 1 EP to cut down on the number of oil change I have to do. I change the filters at around 5k and the oil around 10k.

I use 5W30, not 10W30, in all my older cars.

I use 5W30, not 10W30, in all my older cars.

For our climate, either should be fine. Mine are parted indoors, so the 5w isn't really necessary for me for starting (and 30 is 30).

I've been using Mobil 1 10w30 full synthetic for awhile now and have no complaints.

I've seen that commercial recently too, saying that Valvoline offers more protection than Mobil 1 and I'm pretty intrigued by that because I was under the impression that the general consensus was that Mobil 1 was the best. I guess as long as the motor runs, there's no good way to test which is actually better. :)

I'm subscribing to this in case you find anything.

The word "best" most often is a matter of opinion, and in this case it is. There are many synthetic oils out there that are just as good or better than Mobil 1. Mobil 1 is just the more well known one and more people says its the best, which is why Valvoline compares it to them. Secondly, Valvoline is doing an apple to orange comparison. They are comparing a High Mileage full synthetic to a regular full synthetic. High Mileage oils are higher in there anti-wear additives, seal conditioner additive, and cleaning detergents then regular oil are. If your vehicles were well maintained, and not having oil leaking or consumption problems, I don't see no need to change.

How can you open up an oil thread in an automotive forum and not expect to get a huge range of opinions of what's best? Seriously....

Castrol GTX 10W-30, I've got upwards of a million miles logged with that crap with various engines with absolutely no oil leaks or mechanical engine problems. My 1999 Nissan Maxima with the famous VQ has over 250,000 on it, running strong with clean internals.

Mobil 1, Valvoline High Mile, Synthetic whatever. Follow the manufactures maintenance schedule and use the correct rated brad "X" oil and today's engines should do upwards of 500,000 with no internal failures.

I didn't want to get into a discussion on other brands of oil because everyone has their opinion on what's "best". That discussion has been beaten to death here before and I'm not trying to change anyone's mind.

I am always intrigued by people who worry about wear with 200,000+ miles on the engine. Whatever wear could have happened has already happened. No need to change anything now.

$9.29/qt at my Advance Auto. I've used MaxLife in my '69 Cougar since I got it. Maybe it's time to start using this in my ST. Hope it goes on sale soon.

The site with the best oil info and more is Bob Is The Oil Guy.

I am always intrigued by people who worry about wear with 200,000+ miles on the engine. Whatever wear could have happened has already happened. No need to change anything now.

Totally untrue. If a vehicle has been well maintained and at 200k (or more) isn't burning any oil, isn't making mechanical noises and still has good compression, why not do what you can to keep it on the road as long as possible? Your logic is why vehicles end up in the junk yard prematurely. Wear is the enemy of an engine. Superior lubricants lessen wear. If you have a POS that burns oil and runs on 5 (or 7) cylinders, leaks copious amounts of fluids and has a list of other problems, then why bother changing the oil at all? I'm living on a fixed income and help my kids financially whenever I can. We can't afford to buy new $40,000 vehicles every few years, so I do whatever I can to keep our older vehicles running. I would not hesitate to jump in any one of my 200k trucks and drive cross country. Staying on top of maintenance, using quality products/parts and fixing even minor problems gives me the confidence to do so.

Totally untrue. If a vehicle has been well maintained and at 200k (or more) isn't burning any oil, isn't making mechanical noises and still has good compression, why not do what you can to keep it on the road as long as possible? Your logic is why vehicles end up in the junk yard prematurely. Wear is the enemy of an engine. Superior lubricants lessen wear. If you have a POS that burns oil and runs on 5 (or 7) cylinders, leaks copious amounts of fluids and has a list of other problems, then why bother changing the oil at all? I'm living on a fixed income and help my kids financially whenever I can. We can't afford to buy new $40,000 vehicles every few years, so I do whatever I can to keep our older vehicles running. I would not hesitate to jump in any one of my 200k trucks and drive cross country. Staying on top of maintenance, using quality products/parts and fixing even minor problems gives me the confidence to do so.

Preach it man. The unfortunate part is that a lot of people who have 200,000 miles on there vehicles are often time not the original owners. So how its been well maintained is not always in your control. So its always best to ask for maintenance records, if you can get them. If you used synthetic oil for most of its life, you probably won't need to use a high mileage oil. Mobil 1 had a high mileage oil for a while, but its only API SL.

Back