New Westin step bar on a 2001 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Westin step bar on a 2001 Explorer

sdrone

Reaction score
City, State
Chicagoland, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT AWD
The rear mount on my new Westin step bar (original step bars are rusty) mounts in 2 spots: the rear shackle bolt (needs to be loosened) and a bolt behind the shackle bolt that goes up into the bottom of the truck frame (above the leaf springs).

You're supposed to take that bolt completely out, put in the mounting piece that holds the new step bar, and put the bolt back in through a hole in the new mounting piece.

The bolt appears to go though a bracket, into the frame, and into another bracket. The problem? That bracket that it goes into, which is VERY hard to get to on the driver side because of the fuel tank, apparently isn't welded/fastened down. I don't know if it originally was and has come loose, or not.

So now the bolt is halfway off and that bracket moves. I can't get the bolt off, and I can't get it back on.

I'm pretty sure the truck is fine to drive, but I don't know how to get around this problem. Any ideas?

Back