New Wheels for old Sport | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Wheels for old Sport

I would like to upgrade my wheels and tires on my 2002 Explorer Sport. I understand the max tire size is 265/75/16 on the standard rim. I would like to go for a more modern look with a lower profile tire and larger rim. As long as I stay close to the max tire parameters, I'm looking for options.

I want to fill up the wheel well a little but not get silly thin on the tires. If I use a mustang rim of 8.5 wide, would 255/55/18 for the front and 285/60/18 for the rear? I'm going for as wide a tire as I can use on the rear.

thoughts on this what would the offset be for the rims? 2002 Sports seem to have a lot of extra room in the rear wheel well

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the only thing I would do differently is the tires. They were very good but they have dual hardness of the rubber so the insides wear faster.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok so here's my solution for the rim problem. I found rims for a 2014 explorer off craigslist for $60 set. They were 44mm offset. Unfortunately, my 2002 sport has 12mm offset. To make matters worse the center bore for 2014 is 63.4mm and for 2002 is 70.6 Having never liked how narrow the sport sits I went for some hub-centric spacers. Finding the right bore was a problem.

The problem was the difference in offset, about 32mm or 1.25 inches. On the back I went for a full 2 inch spacer to sit the tire out a little farther. So I bored out the back of the spacer to 70.6mm and turned the collar to 63.4mm.

The tires are Toyo Proxes T1 Sport 255/60/18 and fit with plenty of room to spare

View attachment 319810

View attachment 319811

View attachment 319812

View attachment 319813
Any chance you can make some more of these awesome spacers?

My application is a 2007 Mountaineer. My wheels are 2013 Explorer. They have the same offset of 44mm, however the hub is different, with 70.6 hub and 63.4mm on the wheel center bore.

I am thinking 2" may be too much to fit my 285/45r20's, since I do not need to makeup 1.25" as you did on the explorer sport.

Maybe 1.75" will be long enough to cover my factory studs and give some muscular appearance?

What wheels did you get? I'm currently checking 4WheelOnline for wheels that I could install with a set of Toyo Proxes tires. I want either a chrome or black wheel to replace my existing wheels.

What rim and tire combo did the OP go for?

Ok so here's my solution for the rim problem. I found rims for a 2014 explorer off craigslist for $60 set. They were 44mm offset. Unfortunately, my 2002 sport has 12mm offset. To make matters worse the center bore for 2014 is 63.4mm and for 2002 is 70.6 Having never liked how narrow the sport sits I went for some hub-centric spacers. Finding the right bore was a problem.

The problem was the difference in offset, about 32mm or 1.25 inches. On the back I went for a full 2 inch spacer to sit the tire out a little farther. So I bored out the back of the spacer to 70.6mm and turned the collar to 63.4mm.

The tires are Toyo Proxes T1 Sport 255/60/18 and fit with plenty of room to spare

View attachment 319810

View attachment 319811

View attachment 319812

View attachment 319813

What brand of rims are those? It looks like an aftermarket rim that I saw on 4wheelonline.

What brand of rims are those? It looks like an aftermarket rim that I saw on 4wheelonline.
These Rims are STOCK 2014 Explorer rims. Keep in mind they have a different offset than the stock 2002 Explorer rim. That's why I made the spacers. And just an update on the tires, I won't buy Toyo Proxies again. They wear really fast on the inside where it's a softer compound.

Go back and reread the 1st page of this thread and you'll find the info about the rims

These Rims are STOCK 2014 Explorer rims. Keep in mind they have a different offset than the stock 2002 Explorer rim. That's why I made the spacers. And just an update on the tires, I won't buy Toyo Proxies again. They wear really fast on the inside where it's a softer compound.

Go back and reread the 1st page of this thread and you'll find the info about the rims

Thanks for letting me know.

I suggest you try Nitto tires from 4wheelonline, they are perfect for off-road adventures. :)

My application is a 2007 Mountaineer. My wheels are 2013 Explorer. They have the same offset of 44mm, however the hub is different, with 70.6 hub and 63.4mm on the wheel center bore.

I am thinking 2" may be too much to fit my 285/45r20's, since I do not need to makeup 1.25" as you did on the explorer sport.

Maybe 1.75" will be long enough to cover my factory studs and give some muscular appearance?
any chance you got traction here? Looking to do the same for 2015 wheels on a 2000 sport

Back