Newbie with non starting FEST (Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2001) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie with non starting FEST (Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2001)

jcv44

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
Hi everybody,

I've got what appear to be some electrical problems any idea of where to start looking in forums here?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum:chug:

Your post is too vague. Does it crank but not start? Does it not crank over at all?

Doesn't crack. clicking noise coming from fuse box inside engine compartment

thanks rick,

many symptoms here. i hear clicking noises like picks in two separate spots in engine compartment. one is coming from engine area below steering column the other is coming from the fuse box as described. i replaced the gem module and checked for some shorts in steering column area as describe elsewhere in this forum. I also replaced battery but nothing just picking noises. got to be a relay somewhere? historically have had the usual weird gem like explorer electrical probe with this vehicle: ghost firing of door lock actuator, various window work/not work issues, radio not work/work wipers etc.

I am not good with checking for electrical shorts or opens (is anyone? — kidding, sort of )

when it finally failed it ran then died after a start and brief run, smelled some ozone in engine compartment. that's when i replaced gem, battery and some relays in the fuse box area. I could get you that "Standard" part number, i think it's a pretty common relay available at most part stores. i have several.

when i try to crank but just get the picking and i put my hand on some of those boxy relays inside the fusebos I can feel them physically picking. I have switched them around and replaced but nothing. I don't know where second picking noise is coming from but as I said it sounds like it's lower and near steering column.

Thanks again.

PS: I joined Elite Explorers not sure if I get some kind of confirmation of that other than from PayPal.

Sounds like it could be a bad starter solenoid. Have you checked or replaced that?

have not checked starter solenoid — where is it?

have not checked starter solenoid — where is it?

On top of the starter? Does it require removal of the starter?

Thanks

Where's the starter solenoid/relay located? Are they the same thing?

Where's the starter solenoid/relay located? Are they the same thing?

A long time ago, when I worked in auto parts there was a starter relay on all the Fords on the 'firewall' of the engine compartment. Then there was the solenoid on the starter itself. Which one are we referring to here? (Please see symptoms above about no cranking but "picking" sound.)

Thanks a million.

Did you ever locate the problem?
My gf's car is doing something similar, I can here the starter relay clicking near the firewall.
And the starter was replaced b/c that was the first thing we thought it might be.

Still the problem occurs intermittently.

Back