next one, please.

autobahn

Reaction score
City, State
Cologne
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ironman
Hi there,
living in Germany I had to finally sell my 2005 F150 Lariat 6 month ago. Never recovered from the loss :mad:, until I picked up my 2007 Explorer Ironman last week, which fits me, and germany like a glove. I´m glad to be here! Looking forward to spend lots of time with you, and on the autobahn with my Ford.

André

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard! How fast have you had your ex out there?

Thanks, BrooklynBay and wagoner2. The X was so new to me, that i was afraid to kick it too much, yet. I´m sure that changes fast! But you brought up my first question on here. What do you guys think is a save speed to travel long distance with the V6? I mean, which speed will the drivetrain, engine, transmission etc. stand without loosing their durability? German made vehicles like BMW are made to "run" at the red line without trouble.
Don´t get me wrong, i´m not to much of a speed freak, but what do you think would be a good and save speed for long distance trips?
Thanks,
André

hmm.. thats a good question.. i've had my 97 up to 120 mph on a flat road in new mexico for about 10 minutes.. everything seemed ok but i slowed down because I was about to crest a hill and didnt want to be surprised.
of course your explorer is new and much more stable. so im sure you could run it at 120 without a problem.
<.<
>.>
i think..

welcome

being relatively new id say you could run 90 and be perfectly fine. Only thing u have to remember is these cars were mostly built for going on highways with 65 mph speed limits, that being said who the hell goes 65 anyways :p lol anyways i have a 98 and i dog it everywhere and on the highway i go an almost constant 80 (only a lil bit faster than most traffic as most ppl here run 75 mph and many run over 80). I have 240,000 miles on my truck and have had absolutely no drivetrain issues up to this point (knock on wood) so i cant see a problem with running a constant 90 or so.

Welcome to the forum btw ^_^

Thanks guys,

90mph is just what I thougt. It handles and sounds great at that speed and does not even do 3000rpm. I didn´t buy the Ford to race it down the bahn, but if you´re cruising along with the crowd, not paying attention, schwupp 100mph... :D

Funny thing with the Cologne engine. I knew in the first generation Explorer and Windstar, plus the european Granada Wagon they used the 4.0 V6, but that it is still the same engine (highly upgraded I guess) is great to know. Besides minor things I always heard good things about it.
I really like the sound of it and the power is absolutely plenty for my needs. After having the F150 with 5.4 V8, with its darn sticking/breaking spark plugs, faulty injectors and the knocking hydraulic valve adjustment, I didn´t really feel like dealing with that generation Ford 3valve V8´s anymore.

Hi Autobahn,

I'm also living in Cologne.
Didn't know, that there is another Explorer in town.
Maybe you can contact me.

Harald

Back