Nite Shades or regular spray tint? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nite Shades or regular spray tint?

mdriggan

Reaction score
City, State
Little Rock, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer Expedition
I am wanting to tint my taillight lenses and would like to get some opinions. Which is going to give me the best desired look...Nite Shades or regular spray window tint?

I dont want the tint to dark, just tinted enough to notice that they are "different", like Hartmans. Those that have experiences with these products please give me your thoughts.

Thanks,
michael

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Helping ya out there Matt:
DSC00369.jpg

Originally posted by Black Magic
The Nite Shades works great!

[imghttp://stlouismtb.tripod.com/smokedtails/DSC00369.jpg[/img]

How many coats did you apply to your lights? Yours looks great!

Michael

Yeah NiteShades is a quality product. I used 4 even coats on mine, and it hasn't faded a bit after about 8 months.

same here, that stuff holds up great. before i used the nite shades i sprayed the orange part with candy apple red transparent sray paint. i got it at wal-mart. it made everything red, then i hit them with the nite shades.

Originally posted by alphabets13
same here, that stuff holds up great. before i used the nite shades i sprayed the orange part with candy apple red transparent sray paint. i got it at wal-mart. it made everything red, then i hit them with the nite shades.

Do you know who made transparent spray paint that you used on the orange lenses and how many coats did you use to get the desired color? I would like for mine to be red too.

Michael

yeah, it was made by testors or testers, not sure which is spelled right. i think it was like 4 cts of red then 3-4 cts of niteshades over thew red and formerly orange part. i left the clear alone, although i'm liking hartmans look of all black. either way is 1000 times btter than the stock look. good luck.

yeah, it was made by testors or testers, not sure which is spelled right. i think it was like 4 cts of red then 3-4 cts of niteshades over thew red and formerly orange part. i left the clear alone, although i'm liking hartmans look of all black. either way is 1000 times btter than the stock look. good luck.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I have heard of Testors paint being used before on here or somewhere. I think I will go with the Nite Shades over regular spray tint.

Just wondering though, I was looking at the tails this afternoon and was curious if just changing the bulb in the rear turn signals from clear to red would make any difference in color? This would seem to be alot easier than painting that one lens red. Just curious?

Michael

it depends on what you are looking for. i did it strictly for cosmetic reasons. i hated the orange plastic. i really don't care what it shines through, but yes a red bulb would help, but no matter what you do the inside of the orange will always be orange whether you paint the outside red and add a red bulb or not. so it will always be a little orange.

What about the legality of tinting the tails? I have a black Mountaineer so I think this would lot HOT.

Black Magic and others: have you ever been sighted by the cops for having "altered tail lights?" I assume Night shades isn't DOT approved.

I don't want to make myself more of a target than I have to once I get the lift and noisy exhaust.

no problem whatsoever here. mine look like the tails on the new trailblazers. that dark dark red look.

it depends on what you are looking for. i did it strictly for cosmetic reasons. i hated the orange plastic. i really don't care what it shines through, but yes a red bulb would help, but no matter what you do the inside of the orange will always be orange whether you paint the outside red and add a red bulb or not. so it will always be a little orange.

What I was actually asking was about the output color of the light when the signal is blinking. I would think that a red bulb would make the signal seem more red than orange. Just a thought...
:rolleyes:

yeah, thats basically what i said. a red bulb would help, but no matter what you do the bulb still has to travel through the orange pice (tinted or not) and will still give an orange hue.

What's good about NiteShades is that it lets light through, and at night it looks like your tail lights are stock. I've never had any problems with coppers. When I have one behind me, I usually overuse my turn signals just to let him know that my lights aren't dimmed by the tint. ;)

You could also try http://store.summitracing.com

Thats where I just ordered mine :D

Thanks for all of the great info. I feel better about going into this little project now.

Michael

Thanks for all of the great info. I feel better about going into this little project now.

you'll be much happier with them tinted. like i said, they will look a 1000 times better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I am just going to use the Nite Shades and leave the orange part alone. If I start getting to curious, I may put in a red bulb just for giggles and see what happens. Ive seen some "gel caps" that fit over the bulb to change the color of the emitted light. Are these any good? Anyone have any experience with these? I may take that route instead of changing the bulb and see what it looks like.

Michael

Back