Nitto Mud Grapplers and Black Rock Rims | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nitto Mud Grapplers and Black Rock Rims

Its that time again and I got a good deal on a set of Nitto Mud Grapplers and I picked them up during SMORR. It was the main reason for me going. As of right now I have got every last cent out of the tires I am currently running (36 tsl radials). Jon and some guys brought my tires from Jons house down to the SMORR campground. Thanks again Guys.

The Tires:

They are heavy and agreessive. Im am curious about how they will perform on the road and off road. We will see soon.

New-Tires.jpg

Since Nitto didnt make a tire that I felt good about running in the 15 inch rim size I had to go up to 17s. This is where I am not happy.

Got the rims in last week while I was out of town. Come home exicted and get them out. They are nice but scratched and for the price I payed including shipping im not to happy. Phone calls will be made but I do not have time to send them back and for them to fix them. They were custom backspacing so they would have to repaint them (backspacing of 3.50). They were shipped in good packaging and even had rings around them to protect the front lip but they still ended up with some nice scratches in them. All of them are this way but not as bad.

New-Rims-17s.jpg

New-Rims-17s-Scratches.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow,, that sucks,, i hope the rim maker and shipper look after you on this one,,

the rims and tires are gonna look great on your rig,,

i want to see photos of the finished product when they are on, please,

Im going ahead and putting them on. Ill have pictures before and after install so they cant say this happened during the install.

I am dying to get them on. Its getting pretty serious business if I dont soon. Im not going to send them back to CA and then let them fix the mistake and send them back to TN.

well there is alittle soiree goning on in Humboldt this weekend. could get em Powder coated;)

just a thought

I know but the shipping on these babies was 150. So to get them to humbolt will be prob around 100 at least. LOL I dont want to pay anymore for these because custom backspacing 17s were not to cheap

hmmm, for $100 you could almost drive over to Jons,, ,

just a thought,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I have no clue. It had to happen where they were made

Too bad about the rims. I guess you could touch them up with some paint. Looking forward to seeing them on the X.

That really sucks. They look great though aside from the scratches, I like the round holes better than the "D rings" which I have. Looking forward to pics. I wish I was in Kansas right now for the soiree. So many things I would like to have powdercoated by Jon!!

Here is my email that I sent to the people at Roco4x4 who I ordered the rims through. I want to stress that Roco never touched the rims. They were sent to me directly from the dealer. They were awesome to deal with and will do business with them again.

Hey Rebeca,

I just got back yesterday from my trip and was excited to see my rims sitting in my house as soon as I walked in the front door. I hurried to open them and was quickly disappointed. Each rim as a defect in the paint. I am going to attach a picture of the worst rim. There are scratches and nicks in the dish of each rim. I hate to sound rude but this is just sorry work. Black Rock was recommended to me and I cant say that this was a good choice on my part. I need to know what Black Rock is going to do about this. I know that Roco 4x4 had nothing to do with this issue. I think you guys are great and if I ever have another need I am going to order through you because you actually took the time to work with me on this. Props to you.

I did not know if I needed to contact them directly or let you contact them. I have no problem sending them a email. As of right now I have no time to correct this problem so they are going to have to figure out how to fix this. I have a new set of tires and they have to go on because I have passed below what you would call safe on my old TSL radials. I am waiting till Monday to figure out exactly what I need to do.

Thanks

Jonathan Burns

Sorry, to hear about the rims Burns. That is a bummer when stuff like this happens.

One thing I can say for Roco4x4 is that they take care of there customers. I send that email over the weekend and this morning by 10am they had the claim processed and new wheels being made. It defentally stinks but I have a new set on the way. Im going to be nice and keep one of the 4 wheels. One had no flaws and since they were so good about getting the new product out ill play fair.

Here is the reply email. (which was followed up by a phone call)

Jonathan,
I already processed the warranty claim. I apologize in behalf of Black Rock because this is the first time that I see such a bad finish on their wheels.

They placed a UPS pick up ticket for a UPS truck to pass by and pick up the wheels but I do need you to write XXXXXXX on the boxes for them to know which claim to refer to.

About your new wheels they already started working on them, if it wasnt for the specific Backspacing they could have shipped today but they tell me the earliest then can probably have it done is by Friday.

Everything else about your wheels was correct right? 997 Series 17x9 5 on 5.5 with 3.5 Backspacing.

I will keep in touch with you regarding the shipping of your new set of wheels.

Thank you for your understanding.

Daym dude that sucks about the rims... but its cool there taken care of it... cant wait to see pix!!!!!!!!!!11

Always like to see good customer service. It is a rarity these does. Good plug for Roco 4x4, they will get your business back and maybe others on this forum as well. Looking forward to pics.

Glad everything worked out right for ya.

Always like to see good customer service. It is a rarity these does. Good plug for Roco 4x4, they will get your business back and maybe others on this forum as well. Looking forward to pics.

I didnt want them blamed as the bad ones here. Black rock is making it right and I hope that people see that. I hope people use roco because they have bent over backwards for me here.

First when I called I was just tired of looking for a place to contact black rock and get me the rims the way I wanted them. I called summit and they said that black rock did not offer a custom wheel. I called another place and they told me they didnt want anything to do with a custom order. Then I call roco on a sunday night I believe knowing they wouldnt answer. Well low and behold they did. They were in the shop finishing a rock buggie or something. Really cool people

Awesome to hear, I have been looking for another company to deal with since my deals with 4WP went sour.

Well as far as I have been told the rims have already been shipped out. Im expecting to see them in this week. ( Hopefully )

I am also trying to get them to give me a partial refund for the trouble. Its just been too long since I ordered them at the price I payed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say this has been a very long ordeal. You have had the tires laying around for what 3 months now?

Back