No clutch pressure! Newer internals | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No clutch pressure! Newer internals

acschilling

Reaction score
City, State
CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
Always when I'm trying to get paid...

I have no pressure in my clutch this morning. Master cylinder dry. Internals of clutch are newish 2 yrs old including slave cylinder..professionally installed. Truck sat for 5 days between driving. Certainly didn't suspect this before it happened. What could be leaking this bad? Can the master cylinder break or go bad, you know; be replaced without having to mess with the slave? Thank you, gonna have a heart attack.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes the master cylinder can be replaced without the slave, but you would see fluid all over the fire wall. They can leak internally, but then you wouldn't be loosing fluid. You could have a leak in the line, look for drips on the line, or under the truck. After that, its just the slave cylinder. See if you can look at slave cylinder through the hole in the bottom of the bell housing.

What type of slave was used?? If its not a ford OE then there is your problem, very common problem at that...

Where do you guys find motorcraft slave cylinders anyway? When I did mine, I looked all over, and nobody had them. No way I'd buy from a ford dealer. Acshilling, I got Oriley brand in mine, and it has a lifetime warranty. For $50, I would go that route if you replace the slave yourself. If you pay someone to do it, get the motorcraft if you can find it.

Where do you guys find motorcraft slave cylinders anyway? When I did mine, I looked all over, and nobody had them. No way I'd buy from a ford dealer. Acshilling, I got Oriley brand in mine, and it has a lifetime warranty. For $50, I would go that route if you replace the slave yourself. If you pay someone to do it, get the motorcraft if you can find it.

Real ford slaves only come from ford..there is a dealer on here that can give you a good price..

Lifetime warranty or not, its not worth the hassle to redo it ...pay the extra cost and do it right..

Well I couldn't get it into gear to move it where I could have a detailed look I had family tow it to my mech across the street..about 200ft away only. Here's how it went down: Starts in neutral with the clutch all the way to the floor, no clutch no start. Turned it off; put it in 2nd. Cranked, lurched forward - but didn't start. Stuck in 2nd. Topped off the master cylinder and pumped the clutch for a good while but was only able to get it back into neutral; no other gear. Starts in neutral with clutch to floor. He usually looks at all my weird little stuff for me (broken grease zerk, tighten exhaust, correct the positioning of my plug wires); stuff I trip over.

I don't remember the slave brand...it definitely wasn't Motorcraft sadly.

Keeping my fingers crossed it's just a drippy master. Happened so fast. I was just doing I-25 @75 just last weekend

I learned today that brake fluid is water soluble. I did not know. I had it bled and got most of the pedal back. Was told to monitor it because that resevoir is so TINY! and the steep angle can really trap air. Hopefully wobbling it around driving lets a little more air out. I also had the rubber cover tucked up inside itself to allow for another couple tablespoons of fluid...so small. I think I should have been more diligent in checking the level. Admittedly I probably hadn't opened the clutch resevoir since it was replaced in August '12. That's my b

Did your mechanic tell you what he had to do? I just put in a new master cylinder and don't have any pressure at all. I pre filled it and the pushrod had pressure before attaching it, then I put it on the truck and gravity bled it but it still has a soft pedal.

He did comment about how with Rangers and Explorers he lifts the front of the truck waaay up to elongate burps in the line when bleeding. But that's all he did since it only cost me 1/2 hr labor. Even got down to show me behind the firewall by the pedal to show it was dry with no leaks.

Back