No first gear in a 97

IAmTodd

4x Explorer Veteran
Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Jeep
I'm looking into buying a very cheap 97 XLT SOHC with 135k on it. I have yet to look at it but it sounds to be in good shape for the year/miles. The only downside is first gear seems to have gone on holiday.

According to the owner first gear (and probably 1st+OD for second) is not engaging. Reverse still works and you can start out in second and after moving shift into drive and it will drive fine until it needs to select first again when coming to a stop.

I've done a good bit of searching and from my research it sounds like the reverse/first band and clutch it still ok since reverse functions. It's looking to be more of a valve body issue. Best case scenario would be a blown out seal but I'm hoping someone can shed some light on possible causes. There's quite a few cases documented on the forum but no real solutions posted that I've found.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's the reverse band, you're in for some time with that Ex. Reverse band is a devil.

Considering a used trans with a warranty is $5-600 I'm not too worried. I would much prefer to freshen up the valve body and that cure the problem.

Bump for the evening crowd.

I see Central Valve Body is only around $250 for a new updated unit. If that does seem to be the issue I believe this is the route I'll take.

What if it isn't it..you would be out 250.
I would go with your first thought and spend the 5-600 and rock and roll..I mean if the x is all that and a bag of chips why not?

gears & speeds

For the 5R55E:

selector "1" = 1st speed = 2.47:1 = 1st gear
selecter "2" = 3rd speed = 1.47:1 = 2nd gear
2nd speed (in selector "D" = 1.86:1 = 2.47*.75
4th speed (in selector "D" = 1.00:1
5th speed (in selector "D" = 0.75:1 = 1.00*.75

If the vehicle will start out in "2" but not in "1" then 2nd gear is good but 1st gear is bad. If 5th speed engages but 2nd speed doesn't then overdrive is good but 1st gear is bad.

SS1 is on for "D" speeds 1, 2 & 3
SS2 is on for "D" speed 3
SS3 is on for "D" speeds 2 & 5
SS4 is on for "1" & "2"

If you're only missing 1st & 2nd speed it looks to me like all of your shift solenoids are functional. I doubt the problem will be corrected with a new valve body. I'm guessing that the rear one-way clutch is not holding but that doesn't exactly match the symptoms.

That's just it, the symptoms don't seem to match anything at this point. Going through some of the older threads and seeing the parts needed and their prices at the time and looking at it now I'm just going to pass. This would be a flipper and at this point there's no money to be made, or at least no guarantee.

Thanks for the help.

Back