no fogs to aftermarket fogs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

no fogs to aftermarket fogs

I picked up a set of cheap fog lights tonight, they were $20, but they're rectangular with a yellow tint. I've been wanting a set of fog lights for some time since it gets pretty foggy here sometimes. Anyways, we were having a helluva time tonight trying to find a spot to run the wires through the firewall, but I started thinking that since the wiring is there for the switch that the relay should be there for the factory fog lights. I've pulled the dash out and the fog light wiring is just there waiting to be used, but my dash doesn't have the switch there. I'm wondering if I can tap into this system to get the wiring run for the fog lights and install a switch there that will tap into the relay. Thus avoiding drilling through my firewall. And using a relay instead of just a fused switch.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just a thought...

head to your local pick-a-part and find a sploder with the factory fogs and pull the switch and/or see if it could be incorporated into your dash?

make sure, even if you dont use the factory switch, you use a relay!
wouldn't want your truck catching on fire. my dad roasted my moms late 60s Stang when they first got married. hard lesson learned.

Yeah, that's why I want to tap into the stock relay and switch, if there is a good diagram of how that's set up I'd love to see it. I looked at a previous post and the link is dead. Yeah I thought it was kind of weird that they didn't incorporate some kind of relay, they only sent a switch and not even enough wire to run anything very far. Anyways thanks for the help and hopefully I can get it explained how this is supposed to run from the lights to the relay and then to the switch.

x2 on what Lacky01 said. my 98 sport didn't come with fog lights from factory. i had a 2000 ex awhile back that i striped for parts that did. all you need is the radio bezel that has a factory switch in it, as well as, if you find one that has fogs, there is a wire harness that runs from the factory lights, then under the front of the fenders. you don't have to cut anything to take them out. you can splice your aftermarket fog lights into the factory harness (its only two wires, this is the harness at the front of the truck btw) and plug everything in. i did it with mine. i have a hid kit running off it, and it works with no problems.

What about fog relay ect. is that all there?

What about fog relay ect. is that all there?

bill are you asking that question to me? if so, i can honestly say i do not know. the hid kit that i have is a 35w, so if it wasn't there, i didn't think there was much of a worry about it, seeing that a stock fog light is 55w. if you think i am doing something WAY WRONG, let me know now! i don't want my truck to go up in real flames. that and now that i have the projectors in it, i don't realy use them that much.

Ok, sounds like a trip to the junk yard is in order. Wish they'd close later than noon on Saturdays. Thanks for the help.

I shove everything through my parking brake gromet in the firewall. I have a Ranger, but I would assume it's the same place in an Explorer.

do u got pics of ur fogs installed

Back