Adding Stock Fogs to 2002 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Stock Fogs to 2002 XLT

Hi, I’ve been lurking on this site for months. I’ve gathered much information to keep my ’92 XLT running strong before trading it in. Nine years and 189000 miles not bad! This is my first post regarding my new ride an ’02 XLT.

I want to add fog lights to the stock oval shaped bumper cover inserts like the EB/LTD have. The XLT has solid oval inserts while the EB/LTD has inserts with round openings and fog lights. Also the headlight switch for the EB/LTD turns on the fogs by pulling out the knob when it is in either the parking light or headlight position. The switch for the XLT does not pull out.

There is a kit available from Ford that is listed for 1999-2002 XLT’s. Part number 1L2Z-15200-BC. From what I understand the kit includes the lights, relay, harness, and a switch. It costs $184.00. In addition to the kit I think I would need a set of the bumper cover inserts from the EB/LTD and maybe the headlight switch from the EB/LTD. I haven’t priced these yet.

Has anyone done this mod or used this kit? Would a set of aftermarket lights fit in the openings? Any input or experience with this mod would be appreciated. I’ve included a couple of pics below that show the bumper cover inserts. Sorry for the long post.

XLT:
WKA2001021649366_pv.jpg

EB/LTD:
WKA2001021649251_pv.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Want to add OEM Fog Lights to 2002 XLT

Hi. New member. I've enjoyed Escape Central for our Escape and am glad to see there is a similar site for Explorers.

I have the exact same question as is posted in the thread I'm replying to -- I have an early 2002 XLT that came without fog lights and would like to add them. Ford offers a kit that according to FordAccessories.com includes "everything needed to install factory fog lights in a 2002 XLT" (now $198). I'm curious if anyone here has purchased and installed these, the difficulty involved, how 'factory' they look, particularly the switch, and how difficult the wiring is to do?

I ran a search, which is how I found this post, but did not find anyone who had done this.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I would call a local dealer and ask them the exact contents of the kit. When I was looking at putting fogs on my 98 explorer they told me everything I had the things I needed extra (in my case a lower valance)

Generally speaking the aftermarket, PIAA ect. fog light kits are superior light producers compared to the OEM stuff.
Drawbacks are that you have to work at making them fit in and not look "hung on" and the switch placement.
I guess that it just boils down to what you want the lights to do and how much work you want to do.

If the Plastic pieces with the holes for for lights are separate, I would buy just them from Ford and buy better foglights with their own relay and put a switch somewhere inside.

i imange these peices would come out of the bumper.. They would spend too much money making totally different front ends for the xlt and the eb/limted. I woudl think the little circles are fitted in there some way and can be removed. but hey i have not a clue about the newest explorers :) my 92 has to do for me (and it does)

oldbeater

if you want them to be authentic oem, buy the ford kit.

i would think the ford kit would include the new headlight switch. a 'friendly stealership' should be able to install these for a minimal fee.

ford made these standard on xlt, xlt-sport, mid year.

i have them on my x and like them a lot better than the ones on my old '98.

the plastic inserts are removable, so are the pieces where tow hooks [should] go.

although piaa or hella would be superior in light output, the proper installation factor might be expensive.

peter

I have bought and installed the fog lamp kit on my ’02 XLT.

I bought them from one of the dealers that sells online, paid about $195. The kit is complete. It has the fog lights, the oval shaped inserts with the fog light openings, a wiring harness, two relays, and a lighted switch.

The installation is not too bad. Start to finish was about 4 hours. The lights themselves mount easily. The toughest part is snaking the supplied harness through the firewall. You need to cut a small hole in the rubber “boot” that covers the existing wires as they pass through the firewall and then snake the harness through. I was worried about nicking one of the existing wires but so far so good. The dashboard below the steering column is disassembled. Two relays are mounted behind the dash and wire taps are added to the parking light and high beam circuits. The switch mounts below the dash, to the right of the parking brake release. The switch location is the only part of the kit that I am not happy with.

The lights will operate with either the parking lights or low beams. They will turn off when the high beams are on. I did not use the wire tap for the high beam circuit so the fog lights stay on with the high beams also.

oldbeater

how exactly did you defeat the fogoff/high beam on thing?

i would like to do this,if it isn't too involved.

thanks

peter

The kit comes with two relays. The first taps into the parking lamp circuit. It turns the fogs on if the fog light switch is on and the parking lamps/low beams are on.

The second relay is for the high beam cutoff. It taps into the high beam circuit and turns off the fogs whenever the highs are on.

If you install both relays but do not tap into the high beam circuit then the fogs will stay on with the high beams.

For the kit the relays are added behind the dash, near the steering column. I don't know if the relays are in the same spot for X's that came with the fogs from the factory. If you can find the relays and determine which one is the high beam cutoff, then cut the tap into the high beam circuit and your fogs will stay on with the high beams.

Fogs

Thanks, Oldbeater. It having been so long since your original question with no reply I wasn't sure if anyone had done this. It sounds like it looks pretty 'factory' on the outside, but not the switch inside. It would have been nice if they'd given you the stock switch, but maybe that is too hard to retrofit.

I want the factory look so I'll probably go with this if I choose to do it. If as several posts suggest you're better off light-wise with something other than OEM lights I suppose you can always get improved/more powerful aftermarket bulbs to fit.

Again, thanks for the information.

Back