no heat in a 2002 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

no heat in a 2002 explorer

ROUDA

Reaction score
City, State
pittsburgh
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ok I have a problem in my 2002 ford explorer the heater only blows cold air. Its heating up to normal engine temps so I dont think its the t stat and the heater core isnt blowing onto the windsheild or and the passenger floor. Does anyone have any idea. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you get a clicking sound when you turn the temp selector to warmer settings? If yes - it may be the blend door - lots of posts on this subject right now.

If not then maybe this is your problem - the vent door to the dash vents may not be working properly - check out this photo to reference the Panel/Defrost Door vacuum motor:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1771631&postcount=10

There is an arm that attaches this motor to a lever on the door to open and close it for airflow through the dash.

Steve

no clicking noises but it does seem that nothing is happening when you turn the temp control where is the the vacume door that opens and closes located. how do I get to it.

Open your glove box and press the tabs on the sides inward to let the box fall free.

You should see the motor right inside to the left of the glove box.

The panel around the radio and heater controls can be pried off (very gently). You will see the door right behind where the dash vents are located.

ok so you think I should take all that off and turn the temp control from hot to cool and see if the vacume door moves is that y I would do trhis.

Yes. It's just two quick steps to determine if the motor and door are working as they should.

you either have a bad bland door motor or a jammed door.
drop the glove box door, put your finger on the top of the motor to feel the drive shaft and turn the knob - if it moves then then you need to blend door fixed, the blend door fix posted on this site will work for about for < 30 seconds, to fix it in 12 month intervals, you need to cut the bottom off the air mixer box and put in a new door. then glue the bottom back on. you can try and fix the broken door plastic - but good luck!

My '05 started a loud clicking behind the dash yesterday morning and when I turned the heater control knob down it stopped. When I turned it back up it started clicking again, but not until I was at the red and it was a slow clicking that got faster as I got closer to the limit. At the full hot limit, it's clicking pretty fast and with a series of seven clicks that repeat over and over until I back the control knob down out of the red. I still get even heat control on the driver and passenger side. I wonder if it's the blend door or the mechanism that moves it. Seems like a plastic cog has lost a tooth or two and the actuator is slipping when it gets to the limit. Heck I don't know. I guess I'll have to get in there and check it out! Unless someone can pinpoint it..

Do you get a clicking sound when you turn the temp selector to warmer settings? If yes - it may be the blend door - lots of posts on this subject right now.

If not then maybe this is your problem - the vent door to the dash vents may not be working properly - check out this photo to reference the Panel/Defrost Door vacuum motor:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1771631&postcount=10

There is an arm that attaches this motor to a lever on the door to open and close it for airflow through the dash.

Steve[/QUOTE

I have a 04 explorer that doing the same thing. I took it to my uncle who retired from Norfolk's ford plant after33 years told me it's the acuator thats causing the noise. Also, there isn't any heat coming in. It looks like from what I've been reading here sounds like a defected part. I'll be caliing for motor company on Monday and inform them of the prblems everyone is having pertaining to the heat.

Back