No Key Detected | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Key Detected

I don't believe I've seen that message before but I'm going to give it a 'guess'. When the engine is shut OFF you can restart it without the key if you do so within 20 seconds of turning it OFF.
Just pulled up a 2011 manual and here is what it shows.
View attachment 442425

Peter
So I think that message may have been the wifes fault. When she got the new battery in she got it to start but didn't snap the remote back together. So I think in her ride home the battery lost connection. That still doesn't explain why putting the remote in the center console spot didn't allow it to. I know the battery had enough juice to unlock/lock the car and remote start it. So maybe the issue was just what I have read in this thread about it just not working briefly. Hopefully that was the case either way remotes have new batteries.

the other night I shut my car off to wait for someone, windows down enjoying the night. Not on acc or any mode, completely off. Went to start it again and all I got was no key fob detected. I had both keys with me so it was weird neither was detected. I put one in the console and figured it would fix this issue. Still nothing, wouldn’t go into acc, on or even start. Tried the other key in the console, still nothing. I have used the console before with a dead fob for a long time so I know how to use it. I am on a road trip with a booster, so thinking it might be low battery I put my booster on too. Still nothing. Finally after trying for a while it fired up, and was fine. Next start I used the remote start. Got in and couldn’t get it out of remote start, kept saying no fob detected. Didn’t work with the fobs in the console either. Finally after trying for a while it switched over and I was fine. Has been fine since. My concern is I don’t have a cause and my in-laws are driving it home for me, 3200 miles and I want to understand why. It is at the dealer now, and they say no errors or issues. They are doing new remote batteries but even if they both died at the same time, it doesn’t explain why they didn’t work when put into the holder in the console. Any thoughts appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread has been merged with this one on the same issue.
Do you always carry both keys in the vehicle? Just wondering after reading a very early post in this thread saying the vehicle started after one key was removed from the vehicle.

Peter

Thanks for the reply, I don’t usually but I am on vacation so I keep one locked in the car and use the other. Then if I lose one I can use the keypad to get in and get the other.

Back