Weird Key Issue (No Key Detected, No Remote Start) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird Key Issue (No Key Detected, No Remote Start)

hers a quick test put volt meter on the new battery in fob. its not unheard of to buy a new battery only for it to be dead
That could be the issue but the second fob that is rarely used also doesn't work. A second dead battery??

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

... 'No Key Detected' it is obviously un-drivable. ...

The key(s) and the Remote Module are both radios. If there are competing signals of sufficient strength around, you will definitely experience this problem. I always have the problem when I'm at the Portland (OR) airport's cellphone waiting lot - plenty of radios / antennas in that area for sure.

Since you can park the key in the console receptacle and get the vehicle to start, and you've already changed the fob's battery, I'd bet on an external signal source. Neighbor put up a radio antennae recently? Cellphone tower go up nearby recently? Other broadcast facilities?

Another clue: when you drive to another geophysical location, does the problem go away?

Best of luck - I'm really curious what you find. Hope it's something simple. :)

Every once in a while my key is not initially detected and I have the "stiff" or hard brake pedal so that seems somewhat common.

When the key battery was low I got a warning from the left side display in the instrument panel. I have a 2016 so it took 2 batteries.

Do you know the state of your car battery? If that's on it's way out could that be the source of the issue? I'm also assuming that the batteries you picked up weren't sitting on the Walgreen's rack for the past 5 years. :)

Well, oddly enough... after all of this debaucle... it was the key FOB batteries. I bought new ones (again) and BAM, I can drive my car without the hassle of shoving the key in the 'pocket'.

On the bright side - my console is clutter-free.

Like the title says... Remote start worked (initially), but with 'No Key Detected' it is obviously un-drivable. Luckily (VERY LUCK) we just got back from a 9 hour drive with multiple stops before this happened or I might be stuck midway somewhere.

I did put in a new battery in the remote, but now the remote won't work at all. Found my spare also and it isn't detected either and neither will even blink the lights. That key (rarely used) has always worked.

Any thoughts?
I'm having the same issues remote start doesn't work, vehicle won't beep anymore after I lock it it twice, brake won't decompress, and nothing shows up about no key detected. I just replaced my one fob remote battery it's a 2012 limited explore and could only find one battery . It worked for a minute but doesn't anymore. I can't start it in the slot either with both fobs.

I'm having the same issues remote start doesn't work, vehicle won't beep anymore after I lock it it twice, brake won't decompress, and nothing shows up about no key detected. I just replaced my one fob remote battery it's a 2012 limited explore and could only find one battery . It worked for a minute but doesn't anymore. I can't start it in the slot either with both fobs.
Will the keyfob work to lock/unlock the doors and liftgate? Can it activate the panic alarm? I believe you have the push button start. If so, do you hear anything at all when attempting to start the engine?
The member you quoted, the OP, was last seen here on September 26, 2022, so likely is no longer around.

Peter

Same issues with my 2013 Limited. Intelligent Access fob does not work at all except in the emergency pocket. I've been driving around with the fob in the pocket for several years and it just stays there all the time. If and when I have to lock the car (rarely), I have to use the emergency key to get back in and then REAL FAST put the fob in the pocket and start the car so that the alarm doesn't go off. LOL.

"Securicode" doesn't work either... touch key panel crapped out.

Several years ago, I purchased a new radio/antenna unit that sits under the console. I've just never had time to install it. I suspect when I get around to installing that, it will fix the Intelligent Access problems.

Like the title says... Remote start worked (initially), but with 'No Key Detected' it is obviously un-drivable. Luckily (VERY LUCK) we just got back from a 9 hour drive with multiple stops before this happened or I might be stuck midway somewhere.

I did put in a new battery in the remote, but now the remote won't work at all. Found my spare also and it isn't detected either and neither will even blink the lights. That key (rarely used) has always worked.

Any thoughts?
i have 2nd and 3 gen and they sometimes lose the connection with chip. does engine turn but not start or on first try run for few seconds
the antitheft to my understanding shuts the fuel pump off . see if you can hear pump run for few seconds after key is turned
if it the antitheft try your 2nd key if you have one if not call mobile locksmith who has scanner to reset since having tow to garage odds ar they will diagnose and call locksmith also the red light in niddle of dash must be blinking if antithefys active check owners manual for location and how the 2015 supposed to blink

i have 2nd and 3 gen and they sometimes lose the connection with chip. does engine turn but not start or on first try run for few seconds
the antitheft to my understanding shuts the fuel pump off . see if you can hear pump run for few seconds after key is turned
if it the antitheft try your 2nd key if you have one if not call mobile locksmith who has scanner to reset since having tow to garage odds ar they will diagnose and call locksmith also the red light in niddle of dash must be blinking if antithefys active check owners manual for location and how the 2015 supposed to blink
The 5th-gen Explorer does not have the anti-theft system you describe and no flashing light.

Peter

The 5th-gen Explorer does not have the anti-theft system you describe and no flashing light.

Peter
thats why i put 2 and 3 gen in reply. they do have anti theft so i still call a major locksmith mobile and quary them
btw was the remote factery or dealer installed yt scotty kilmer has had videos on aftermarket remote starter systems
but of luck

Back